Project Delivery Higher Apprenticeship - 2017 start
The project delivery apprenticeship scheme gives you the opportunity to work on some of the most fast-paced and exciting projects being undertaken in the UK today.
The government is responsible for a diverse range of projects often on a very large scale and of great complexity. Civil Service apprentices have an unrivalled opportunity to learn the valuable skills and experience they’ll need to develop excellent careers in project management.
You’ll also have the rewarding experience of knowing that the projects you work on can transform the lives of millions of citizens across the UK.
What you’ll do
You’ll be working with experienced project delivery professionals from day one and have the opportunity to learn from their experience. You’ll work across a range of roles gathering some core skills which may include project reporting, project risk or project finance.
Your role could include:
- contributing to project management practices such as highlight reporting and risk management
- supporting and contributing to the delivery of key project milestones and deliverables
- building and maintaining relationships with a diverse stakeholder community
- supporting project reviews, ensuring that lessons are captured and learned
- reviewing and recording budget expenditure and forecasting
- collection and analysis of complex data to produce monthly reports on project performance for senior management
- producing and updating existing project control guidance
- setting up key project files and keeping all electronic files organised in accordance with required programme or project standards
- going out to engage with suppliers and stakeholders to experience what delivery means on the ground
- assisting in the collation of important metrics or data for use in summary management reports which may at times require issue resolution, renegotiation of deadlines and engagement with key team players or stakeholders
Where you’ll work
In 2016, the project delivery apprenticeship scheme will be running in the following locations:
- High Wycombe
- Leeds / Sheffield
Depending on the location you choose, you could be working in the following departments:
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Ministry of Justice
- Ministry of Defence
- Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs
- Department for Education
- Department for Transport
- Home Office
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
What we’re looking for
You won’t need previous project experience. You’ll get the experience you need while you’re on the programme. We are looking for apprentices who:
- are positive, proactive and make the most of the opportunities available
- are able to balance the demands of working full-time in a fast-paced project environment with diploma studies
- can collaborate and work as part of a team to deliver successful outcomes
- are ambitious, take responsibility and make things happen
- have great verbal and written communication skills
- have good organisation skills with an eye for detail
- are open to new challenges
- are able to see the bigger picture
In addition to 5 GCSEs, grades A* to C and including English language and maths, (or equivalent), you must have 2 A levels, grades A* to D, in any subject. (Or you expect to have these qualifications by 31 August 2016.)
You’ll also need to check you meet the general requirements of eligibility, such as age, nationality and residency.
After the apprenticeship
After the scheme, successful apprentices will work in core project delivery roles. This may be in a specialist area such as Risk and Assurance, Planning, Reporting or Change Control. You may manage a small project of your own or you may manage a small piece of a much larger project.
Whatever you choose, there is a great deal of opportunity to have a career that can last for many years, building your experience across different projects and in different roles in government.
Once you’ve successfully completed your apprenticeship, you’ll be eligible to apply without a degree for the Fast Stream. This is the Civil Service’s prestigious graduate development programme which prepares participants for leadership roles within the organisation.
Applications open between February and March 2017 but click apply to register your interest now.