Level 5 Technician Scientist Degree Apprenticeship - Cell Culture and Fermentation - MedImmune
Working hours - Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 5.30pm
Annual wage - £15,000
Expected apprenticeship duration - 3 years
Possible start date - 2nd September 2019
Medlmmune's Cell Culture and Fermentation Sciences (CCFS) group in Cambridge is responsible for the design, creation and characterisation of cell lines and cell culture processes suitable for the production of therapeutic molecules for supply to patients.
This involves the application of a diverse range of scientific disciplines, including molecular biology, cell culture, media design, bioreactor engineering as well as molecular and process analytics. The outputs from the group are essential for the development of the processes for therapeutic molecule production and central for the progression of the drug development pipeline. The group is divided into several interdisciplinary teams consisting of:
- Early Expression and Supply (EES)
- Cell Line Development (CLD)
- Cell Culture and Process Design (CCPD)
- Large Scale Bioreactor Processes (LSBP)
- BioProcess Analytics (BPA)
You will spend time working with each of these teams to gain experience and understanding in these aspects of the drug development process.
- Molecular Biology
- Cell Culture
- Process analytics
- Bioreactor processing
- 5 GCSE's at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including mathematics and English
- Will have, or are predicted, A-Levels equalling 80 new UCAS points, including Biology at grade C or above plus an additional Science or mathematics
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC) will also be considered (with a minimum requirement of 80 new UCAS points)
- Subject to satisfactory completion of the Higher Level Apprenticeship, you may be invited to progress on to the Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship, which will take a further 24 months to complete
- This role is part of our talent planning for the future, and for the right person we are looking to continue to develop the Apprentice upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship
- Because of the technical experience you will gain as part of this role, you will gain skills which many graduates have yet to develop. If you demonstrate practical ability in addition to problem solving ability, there are limitless opportunities for progression within the life sciences sector
Things to consider
Please ensure that you currently live within, or can relocate to, a commutable distance of the site.
Due to the part-time nature of the Foundation Degree, you must be able to demonstrate a responsible and mature attitude to your study and work-based activities. Study time will form part of your working week.
Cogent Skills are managing the recruitment process in partnership with MedImmune. The successful candidate will be employed by Cogent Skills Services but will undertake all on-job learning with MedImmune Limited.
Cogent Skills offers a wide range of benefits to our employees, including:
- 25 Days Holiday entitlement (+ Bank Holidays)
- Opt in pension scheme – Workplace Pension Scheme
- Student discount card (NUS)
- Employee assistance programme
- Dedicated mentor for the duration of your Apprenticeship
- Discount at Pure Gym
Apprentices may be eligible for annual wage increments, subject to company budgets and satisfactory completion of goals.