Level 5 Technician Scientist Degree Apprenticeship – Oncology (In Vitro) - MedImmune
Working hours - Monday to Friday, 9,00am - 5.30pm
Annual wage - £15,000
Expected apprenticeship duration - 3 years
Possible start date - 2nd September 2019
The successful candidate will work as part of a skilled in vitro team of scientists to design and execute a wide range of in vitro studies in support of pipeline drug projects. With training, you will be able to run assays to profile the activity of novel agents to ultimately determine their suitability for progression into patients.
You will gain a broad range of hands-on experience and competence in scientific techniques related to in vitro pharmacology with particular focus on immune-oncology. The role will enable you to gain a broad range of experience in diverse in vitro techniques including training on advanced equipment such as multiparameter flow cytometers.
Core techniques include:
- Tissue culture – culture and harvest of tumour cell lines, aseptic technique, cell counting, viability testing, isolation and culture of primary immune cells
- Multi-parameter flow cytometry
- ELISAs and multiplex assays
- Primary T-cell and complex co-culture assays that aim to profile immune function
This role offers a great opportunity to provide an excellent platform for further professional development.
- 5 GCSE's at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including mathematics and English
- Will have, or are predicted, A-Levels equalling 80 new UCAS points, including Biology at grade C or above plus an additional Science or mathematics
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC) will also be considered (with a minimum requirement of 80 new UCAS points
- Subject to satisfactory completion of the Higher-Level Apprenticeship, you may be invited to progress on to the Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship, which will take a further 24 months to complete
- This role is part of our talent planning for the future, and for the right person we are looking to continue to develop the Apprentice upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship
- Because of the technical experience you will gain from this role, you will gain skills which many graduates have yet to develop. If you demonstrate practical ability in addition to problem solving ability there are unlimited opportunities for progression within the Life Sciences sector
Things to consider
Please ensure that you currently live within, or can relocate to, a commutable distance of the site.
Due to the part-time nature of the Foundation Degree, you must be able to demonstrate a responsible and mature attitude to your study and work-based activities. Study time will form part of your working week.
Cogent Skills are managing the recruitment process in partnership with MedImmune. The successful candidate will be employed by Cogent Skills Services but will undertake all on-job learning with MedImmune Limited.
Cogent Skills offers a wide range of benefits to our employees, including:
- 25 Days Holiday entitlement (+ Bank Holidays)
- Opt in pension scheme – Workplace Pension Scheme
- Student discount card (NUS)
- Employee assistance programme
- Dedicated mentor for the duration of your Apprenticeship
- Discount at Pure Gym
Apprentices may be eligible for annual wage increments, subject to company budgets and satisfactory completion of goals.