Level 5 Technician Scientist Degree Apprenticeship – ADPE In Vivo Expressed Biologics - MedImmune
Working hours - Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 5.30pm
Annual wage - £15,000
Expected apprenticeship duration - 3 years
Possible start date - 2nd September 2019
This is a great opportunity to gain skills in the development of gene therapies, in biologic drug production, and more generally in a biotechnology environment. Working as part of a multi-functional team, you will be responsible for carrying out several diverse activities to support ongoing drug research projects. You will learn all the aspects of antibody production, including protein engineering, molecular biology, gene expression, biochemical assays, protein expression and characterisation.
You will design and execute robust scientific experiments demonstrating technical competence in the use of specified instruments and equipment, and will learn many skills and techniques, including:
- General; Pipetting, reagent ordering and preparation, solution preparation, good laboratory practice, relevant health and safety practices, and working in an aseptic environment
- Molecular Biology; PCR, cloning, complex multi-fragment cloning, DNA preparation at different scales, primer design, sequencing, gel electrophoresis, DNA transformation, colony screening, library preparation, mRNA analysis
- Cell Biology; mammalian cell culture, media preparation, cell differentiation, transfections and protein expression, cell imaging, flow cytometry
- Biochemistry; protein-protein interactions, western blot, SDS page, ELISA, protein purification
You will also use a number of both office and scientific software packages, analyse data and work with multiple interfaces between computer and laboratory devices
This role offers a great opportunity to work in industry-leading laboratories at the cutting edge of science and drug discovery.
- 5 GCSE's at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including Mathematics and English
- Will have, or are predicted, A-Levels equalling 80 new UCAS points, including Biology at grade C or above plus an additional Science or Mathematics
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC) will also be considered (with a minimum requirement of 80 new UCAS points)
- Subject to satisfactory completion of the Higher-Level Apprenticeship, you may be invited to progress on to the Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship, which will take a further 24 months to complete.
- This role is part of our talent planning for the future, and for the right person we are looking to continue to develop the Apprentice upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship.
- Because of the technical experience you will gain from this role, you will gain skills which many graduates have yet to develop. If you demonstrate practical ability in addition to problem solving ability there are unlimited opportunities for progression within the Life Sciences sector.
Things to consider
Please ensure that you currently live within, or can relocate to, a commutable distance of the site.
Due to the part-time nature of the Foundation Degree, you must be able to demonstrate a responsible and mature attitude to your study and work-based activities. Study time will form part of your working week.
Cogent Skills is managing the recruitment process in partnership with MedImmune. The successful candidate will be employed by Cogent Skills Services but will undertake all on-job learning with MedImmune Limited.
Cogent Skills offers a wide range of benefits to our employees, including:
- 25 Days Holiday entitlement (+ Bank Holidays)
- Opt in pension scheme – Workplace Pension Scheme
- Student discount card (NUS)
- Employee assistance programme
- Dedicated mentor for the duration of your Apprenticeship
- Discount at Pure Gym
Apprentices may be eligible for annual wage increments, subject to company budgets and satisfactory completion of goals.