Level 5 Technician Scientist Degree Apprenticeship - Cardio Vascular, Renal & Metabolism - MedImmune
Working hours - Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 5.30pm
Annual wage - £15,000
Expected apprenticeship duration - 3 years
Possible start date - 2nd September 2019
The Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM) team advances drug projects with the potential to reduce cardiovascular morbidity and mortality, prevent or reverse the progression of Chronic Kidney Disease and modulate metabolism to deliver benefit to patients with metabolic disease.
As an Apprentice In Vitro Biologist the candidate will have the opportunity to develop world class skills and knowledge in many areas of in vitro drug discovery.
Following successful completion of the apprenticeship, the apprentice will have obtained a wealth of transferable competencies.
To prepare for, and perform, laboratory experiments and tests to produce reliable, accurate data to support Research & Development projects
Basic Laboratory techniques:
Prepare for and perform laboratory techniques including:
- Accurate weighing
- pH measurement/adjustment
- Reagent and buffer preparation
Role specific technical ability:
To demonstrate technical competence in the use of specified instruments and equipment following Standard Procedures:
- Spectrophotometer (Nanodrop)
- Acoustic liquid dispenser (Labcyte ECHO)
- Fluorescence plate reader (Perkin Elmer Envision)
- Combi drop bulk dispenser
- Live cell analyser (Incucyte)
Role specific competencies:
To perform role specific tasks within the CVRM department:
- Reagent ordering, aliquoting and storage
- Sample solubilisation and aliquoting
- Concentration response curve generation
- Cell culture (cell lines and primary cells)
- Cyclic AMP second messenger screening assays
- ELISA and MesoScale protein quantification
- mRNA extraction and qPCR
- Curve fitting data analysis
- Ex vivo sample analysis (using Cobas Analytical Analyser)
- To complete documentation proficiently including relevant calculations
- To understand error reporting and correction techniques e.g. for traceability
- To demonstrate an understanding of the relevant good documentation practices
- To keep accurate records of laboratory work undertaken and results
- Use of electronic laboratory notebooks in undertaking and recording laboratory tasks
- To identify sources of error and how they can be reduced by demonstrating problem solving techniques
- To demonstrate an open-minded approach e.g. more than one solution to a problem
- To understand the importance to report errors and/or problems to CVRM team members and demonstrate this in everyday working
- 5 GCSE's at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including mathematics and English
- Will have, or are predicted, A-Levels equalling 80 new UCAS points, including Biology at grade C or above plus an additional Science or mathematics
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC) will also be considered (with a minimum requirement of 80 new UCAS points)
- Subject to satisfactory completion of the Higher-Level Apprenticeship, you may be invited to progress on to the Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship, which will take a further 24 months to complete
- This role is part of our talent planning for the future, and for the right person we are looking to continue to develop the Apprentice upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship
- Because of the technical experience you will gain from this role, you will gain skills which many graduates have yet to develop. If you demonstrate practical ability in addition to problem solving ability there are unlimited opportunities for progression within the Life Sciences sector
Things to consider
Please ensure that you currently live within, or can relocate to, a commutable distance of the site.
Due to the part-time nature of the Foundation Degree, you must be able to demonstrate a responsible and mature attitude to your study and work-based activities. Study time will form part of your working week.
Cogent Skills are managing the recruitment process in partnership with MedImmune. The successful candidate will be employed by Cogent Skills Services but will undertake all on-job learning with MedImmune Limited.
Cogent Skills offers a wide range of benefits to our employees, including:
- 25 Days Holiday entitlement (+ Bank Holidays)
- Opt in pension scheme – Workplace Pension Scheme
- Student discount card (NUS)
- Employee assistance programme
- Dedicated mentor for the duration of your Apprenticeship
- Discount at Pure Gym
Apprentices may be eligible for annual wage increments, subject to company budgets and satisfactory completion of goals.