Become a fully qualified Steward in the Royal Air Force!
Whether you have experience in hospitality and Catering or not, the Royal Air Force (RAF) is looking for you. In the RAF, the role is known as Air & Ground Steward (AGS), where you will be a key logistical element in the running of the Service.
What you could be doing:
- Cabin Crew on the Royal Air Force A330-200 ‘Voyager’ Aircraft or the Royal Air Force BAe 146 aircraft.
- Greeting passengers as they board and exit the plane, providing special attention to passengers as required.
- Serving meals and refreshments, checking the condition and provision of on-board emergency equipment and information for passengers, demonstrating emergency equipment and safety procedures as well as administering first aid and dealing with passenger or crew emergencies.
- After your 1st flying tour you could also be part of our Specialist Field catering Squadron (3MCS) providing military field catering on Operations and Exercises worldwide or work alongside our industry partners in Military Messes.
Training you’ll receive
Your career will start with a 10-week Basic Recruit Training Course (BRTC) at RAF Halton in Buckinghamshire. The course is designed to help you adjust to the military environment. As well as fitness and military training, you'll also learn about the RAF lifestyle. You will then move on to 15-16 weeks of specialist training including food Services, pre-employment land and sea survival training, decompression training, aviation medicine, cabin crew and flying training.
As part of an extraordinary team, you will be provided with a comprehensive and ongoing on the job training package. You will learn and develop the skills you need to enable you to support military operations in challenging locations across the globe and at home.
- Competitive salary which rises after training and has yearly incremental increases with opportunities to earn up to £52,837 subject to promotions throughout your career.
- Automatic non-contributory pension scheme.
- Full on the job training.
- Free gym membership.
- Accommodation provided with heavily subsidised fees for single members and families.
- Wide range of subsidised training and education available.
- Minimum 38 days paid holiday per year.
- Opportunity to take part in adventurous training and sporting activities during work time, subsidise travel, entry fees and equipment costs.
- Subsidised meals with on-base catering.
- Free private healthcare and dental care.
- Member of Defence Discount Service.
- Railcard for £21 a year.
- Competitive Maternity and Paternity leave.
- Job Security: During COVID19 Pandemic we have continued to pay full salaries and have not needed to furlough any of our employees.
- Be able to pass an RAF swim test
- Be within the height range of 161cm to 195cm.
- Non-British / Commonwealth Citizens applying for Logistic Profession AGS are to be naturalised as a British citizen before entry to the service and hold a UK passport.
- Be between 16 and 47 (Must attest before 48th birthday).
- Pass a Fitness test.
- Commit minimum 3 years post Phase Two Training.
- There are health and fitness requirements that must be met by all applicants.
- You need GCSEs at a minimum of Grade G (Grade 1 to 3) in English Language and
- Functional Skills Level 2 English and Maths or formal equivalent