Position: Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship
Job Family: Delivery Rail
Location: Liverpool, North West, United KingdomLiverpoolNorth WestUnited Kingdom
Contract Type: Apprenticeship
Position advertised: 10 Jun 2022
Here at Amey Rail, you’ll have the unique opportunity to bring high-profile, ground-breaking Rail projects seeing them come to life. Your work will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives, often in the very Our exciting five-year programme allows you to gain real “on the job” experience, working on live railway based projects such as Network Rail’s Civils Assessment Framework Agreement (CAFA) and Transport for Wales – Wales and Borders Contract.
As part of our Structures Assessment Team based in York, Crawley, Liverpool or Cardiff, you’ll have the opportunity to be part of a national team that undertakes the inspections and structural assessment of a wide variety of railway structures, from bridges carrying trains over roads and waterways, to highway and footbridges crossing the railway, as well as station canopies and train sheds. These structures are part of the heritage of our country, and we need to ensure that they are safe to meet today’s needs as well as tomorrow’s.
The Team comprising approximately 60 Engineers and Technicians at all levels, who plan and undertake the initial inspections of these structures, using a variety of specialist access techniques, from confined spaces to rope access, and new technologies such as 3D laser scanning, 360° cameras and aerial drones to collect all the information required to complete a full structural analysis. In the office, our engineers use a range of design tools to ensure we deliver consistent assessment results to our clients, including 3D CAD, structural analysis and Finite Element modelling. Software that is regularly used includes; Archie-M, Limit State Ring, SuperSTRESS, STAAD Pro and Lusas
Your Degree Apprenticeship course will be delivered via day or block release throughout the duration of your programme with one of the UK’s leading Universities, local to you who specialise in Civil Engineering Degree Courses.
As part of our growing Assessments team, you’ll collaborate and engage with your colleagues and industry experts, delivering projects through a flexible combination of home and office-based working, tailored to you, as part of your personal development plan.
Day to day tasks will include:
- Planning and undertaking bridge inspections to confirm structural details and condition;
- Preparing technical drawings and reports;
As your experience grows, you will progress to assisting in the following:
- Developing innovative solutions to enhance inspection and technical capabilities;
- Undertake numerical analysis and calculations to determine the structural load carrying capacity;
- Proposing strengthening and maintenance options.
You will use your developing engineering knowledge and skills to deliver robust structural assessment reports, to help us inform our clients, which will enable them to continue the safe, efficient and optimal management of the capability of their structure assets.
You’ll also be provided with a “buddy”, to assist you as you settle in, and an industry expert as a professional mentor, to help guide you towards achieving your professional qualifications/accreditation.
The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, we’re an industry leader in Rail services, passionate about using our skills to make a difference and continuing to win further exciting projects for you to get involved with.
What will you bring?
One of the best things about an Apprenticeship with us is that you don’t need to have experience of working in engineering or the rail industry. However, we do hope that you’ll share our passion for these and demonstrate your desire to develop yourself within this exciting area.
We offer a fantastic opportunity to help you take those initial steps in your career and our fabulous Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship programme course provides you with invaluable time to study and network with your peers. We see this as a valuable part of your learning so travel and any accommodation costs at your University are also covered by us.
- Qualification requirements 112 UCAS Points gained via either:
- 3 A-Levels (or equivalent) Grade A*-C. Must include Maths and a Science
- OR, Successful completion of a Level 3 Apprenticeship/BTEC Diploma (in Civil Engineering) to D*D* level
- Available to join our programme in early September 2022
- Passion for developing your skills both professional and personally
- Ability to travel on a weekly / monthly basis to your chosen university for study and occasional travel within the UK
- The commitment and drive to complete your five-year degree course and End assessment
If you possess the determination, initiative, and curiosity to become a technical expert in your field, or one of our future leaders, then our Degree Apprenticeship programme could be for you.
We place great value on all our people and the contribution they make to our business, so it’s important that our rewards make us all feel valued here. We can offer:
- Starting salary of £20,592 with regular salary reviews while on the Apprentice programme
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- 24 Days annual leave + Bank Holidays, Pension Scheme
- You will join our Early Careers Community which will provide you with peer-to-peer networking activities, involvement in a range of social value and extra-curricular activities.
- A range of benefits including a flexible benefits scheme which includes access to buy additional annual leave, cycle2work, and gym memberships; online voucher portals which give you access to thousands of discounts with online retailers; and social value benefits which include the ability to volunteer for a charity of your choice, participation in the DofE award, and support for fundraising initiatives.
Why not take a look at our Early Careers Hub where you can find out more about our recruitment process, our various Programmes, the benefits we offer, our Social Value commitments, Wellbeing and Support Services, along with a whole host of other useful information about how you would be part of our Early Careers community here at Amey.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 14,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK’s road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK’s defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on.
At Amey Rail, we value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be yourself, because your individuality is an asset. We believe true diversity of backgrounds and skills, create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask the right questions to arrive at smarter solutions because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means smarter outcomes for our clients, our communities and ourselves. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
Apply for Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship