Commercial Higher Apprenticeship - 2017 start
The commercial apprenticeship is an opportunity to develop the specialist skills that are increasingly recognised by employers as the most valuable across all sectors. These skills are especially important in the public sector – the government spends £240 billion every year, which is a huge budget to be responsible for.
Commercial professionals work on some of the most challenging and interesting projects in government. There’s an incredible range of experience available in the different posts, from procuring prisons for the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) to buying battleships in the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
What you’ll do
Improving commercial skills is one of the Civil Service’s highest priorities so you’ll receive plenty of support as you develop your abilities and build your professional networks. Your role could include:
- working on the MoJ’s prison catering contract – managing the planning, preparation and logistics that make sure prisons receive food on time each day
- pre-market engagement for HMRC’s new IT systems
- creating templates to assist a rail franchise in the Department for Transport
- working to drive improvements across all of the MOD’s fleets
- managing the contract award of the HM Passport Office’s courier services – a contract which is worth over £30,000
Where you’ll work
In 2016, the commercial apprenticeship scheme is running in the following locations:
- Leeds / Sheffield
Depending on which location you choose, you could be working in the following government departments or agencies:
- Crown Commercial Service
- Ministry of Justice
- Department for Transport
- HM Revenue & Customs
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department of Health
- Department for Education
- Environment Agency
- Public Health England
- Rural Payments Agency
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for apprentices who have:
- a drive to learn about business through real on-the-job negotiation experience
- excellent problem-solving skills
- an inquisitive mind – you should enjoy finding creative solutions to problems
- a desire to deliver great customer service
You must have 5 GCSEs, grades A* to C and including English Language and maths, or equivalent. (Or you expect to have these qualifications by 31 August 2016.)
You’ll also need to check you meet the general requirements of eligibility, such as age, nationality and residency.
After the apprenticeship
Commercial skills are very sought after in both the public and private sector. The knowledge you’ll have learned on the apprenticeship will open up many career opportunities for you.
Once you’ve successfully completed your apprenticeship, you’ll be eligible to apply without a degree for the Fast Stream. This is the Civil Service’s prestigious graduate development programme which prepares participants for leadership roles within the organisation.
Applications open between February and March 2017 but click apply to register your interest now.