Construction Estimating Higher and Degree Apprenticeships - 2017 start
3 days left
- 24 months+
Our Apprenticeship programmes are an excellent pathway for school and college leavers as well as experienced trades to develop their skills and knowledge within a professional field.
We offer degree-level apprenticeships (level 6) for college leavers which include support with professional development, on the job experience, behavioural and technical development on a structured pathway. The programme is industry recognised and designed to provide you with the experience to support you towards becoming a surveyor, building services manager or site manager.
Our Level 4 technical apprenticeship offers school leavers and experienced trades professionals to develop the skills and experience towards becoming a site supervisor, building services supervisor or surveying supervisor. This industry recognised programme offers structured development and experience as well as support in achieving a HNC in the relevant pathway.
We are keen to hear from school-leavers who have a real passion in the built environment and want to develop their skills and competence towards becoming an electrical or mechanical engineering apprentice.
Estimating is an essential function which fits within the preconstruction stage of a project. Estimators hold a pivotal role within preconstruction and are responsible for estimating the costs of a building project. They work with all the other functions (design, building services, planning and advisors) to pull together all their requirements and express them in an estimate which can then be offered as a price to the customer. The cost of a scheme is usually the most important factor when a customer decides who to select and work with.
In this role, you will experience all the elements of building from design, construction, supply chain, materials, product specifications, cost planning, engineering and planning. Estimating can be a rewarding profession and allows you to gain a very rounded experience of all elements and professions within the industry.
Our Estimating Management Trainee program has been designed to give the best start in a rewarding career as an estimator
As a member of the estimating team your overall responsibilities will include:
- Building financial knowledge by working with our existing estimating team on live bids and gaining knowledge and understanding of the estimating process
- Developing good working relationships with all functions within the preconstruction function (design, planning, commercial, proposals and bid management)
- Gaining site experience and an understanding of the wider business by working for a period of time on live sites to see building in action and being able to see the transition from a bid into a real live project
- Developing new IT skills in estimating software such as Onsite and Causeway and using this to produce take-offs and estimates
- Refining orgainisational skills by working to strict tender timescales and following defined tender processes
- Gain knowledge and understanding on risk management and how we manage this in the tender process
Some of the specific tasks you may undertake are:
- Assist in compiling and issuing subcontract tender enquiries
- Producing simple take offs for sites works and basic construction Reviewing and comparing subcontract tender prices and assisting the estimating team on best prices
- Assist in adding and maintaining the preferred supply chain database
- Engaging with on-site teams to understand construction project requirements and accurately price projects
Level 4 - All you need is a passion to develop your career in the built environment and a minimum of 8 GCSE’s at grade A-C (or 9-4 under the new grading structure) with a minimum of B (or 5) in Maths and English.
Level 6 - All you need is a passion to develop your career in the built environment, a minimum of 8 GCSE’s at grade A-C (or 9-4 under the new grading structure) with a minimum of B (or 5) in Maths and English, and a HNC in a construction related subject.