What will the apprentice be doing?
Geotechnical apprentices at AECOM will work on a range of projects, involving work such as:
· Attend design team/ client meetings and work alongside team members.
· On the job learning, with the necessary training and support.
· Desk studies, site inspections, rockface surveys and geomorphological mapping.
· Contribute to the planning and procurement of ground investigations.
· Supervise ground investigation fieldwork, including logging, data collection, monitoring, sampling and supervising contractors.
· Geological interpretation and preparation of interpretative reports.
· Analysis of geotechnical data, preparation of ground models, design calculations and reporting on foundations, retaining walls, soil slope stability, earthworks, rock slope stabilisation.
· AECOM has a range of 2D and 3D numerical analysis software, candidates with an interest in this area will have the opportunity to develop modelling skills.
· Become an integral and valued member of the GETS team.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
We are looking to grow our Geotechnical team in Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Croydon, Basingstoke, and Chesterfield and currently have an opportunity for an Apprentice to join us and work towards completing the Level 6 Civil Engineer Degree Apprenticeship (BEng Hons) with Salford University on their day release programme https://www.salford.ac.uk/courses/degree-apprenticeship/civil-engineering-civil-engineer-degree-apprenticeship
.... and identified Universities/training providers for the other locations.
The programme is expected to take 5 years to complete, and applicants must be willing to commit to the 5-year programme, subject to successful completion of an initial 6-month probationary period at AECOM.
The accredited apprenticeship would be full time, with four days spent working at AECOM and one day per week spent on day release to Salford University for Manchester apprentices and identified Universities/training providers for the other locations.
You will work alongside structural engineers, infrastructure teams, planners and other environmental specialists on a wide range of projects for a variety of Clients.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
AECOM invest heavily in the quality of our Apprentices and the development opportunities provided enable learning from some of the most talented and renowned experts in their field whilst bringing fresh approaches and further diversifying our workforce.
AECOM provides the opportunity to develop professionally whilst working within a positive environment, where learning and development is actively promoted and supported.
As well as undertaking registering onto the Salford University day release programme completing the Civil Engineer Degree Apprenticeship with Salford University o and identified Universities/training providers for the other locations, the successful candidate will join AECOM's ADVANCE programme - a training programme which all our new graduates and apprentices participate in.
He / she will also have the opportunity to join AECOM's Early Careers Network - which organises a range of activities including webinars and social events - and the local office Green Team. AECOM's Green Teams drive forward environmental initiatives and arrange activities throughout the year to support those initiatives.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Self Motivated
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 'C/4' or above,) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 'C/4' or above) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths (Grade Grade Grade C or equivalent) Essential
A Level or equivalent Science (Grade Grade C or equivalent) Essential
BTEC or equivalent Maths (Grade MMD) Essential
Things to consider
Work experience/shadowing in an engineering environment would be an advantage as would an aptitude towards software-based engineering and drawing e.g., Computer Aided Design (CAD) and/or similar 3D software.