Duration of Apprenticeship:
- To provide administration support with all aspects of HR including recruitment and maintaining HR records.
- To be responsible for the administration of the CPD programme
- The post holder will report to the PA to the Headteacher and HR Supervisor.
- To accurately maintain HR records on both the MIS system and the HR/Payroll system
- Ensure that all new starters complete the required documentation and that all checks are undertaken to ensure HR files are complete and accurate
- Responsibility for processing leavers including completing leavers checklist, ending contracts on the MIS & HR system and issuing any correspondence
- Processing contract variations including amending on the MIS & HR system and issuing confirmation correspondence to staff.
- Support the school business Manager with the administration of the Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Assist with the documentation for the Pay Committee and issuing Annual Salary Statements.
- To maintain absence, annual leave and sickness records on all staff, recording and processing absences as necessary, ensuring staff complete the relevant paperwork and applying the school’s absence procedures as appropriate
- Supporting the School Business Manager to apply the Management of Sickness Absence policy including preparing letters, administration of both informal and formal meetings, taking notes and issuing minutes.
- In the absence of the HR & Cover Administrator to arrange and manage cover for teaching staff including:
- To allocate cover supervisors and teaching staff to cover for absent teachers (using the SIMS).
- To ascertain whether supply teachers are needed and to contact them in sufficient time to ensure their attendance for cover duties
- Where agency staff are being used, to ensure that they are fully briefed on school procedures, including electronic registers, supplied with a schedule of classes for the day and have read and signed the school Safeguarding document
- Ensure supply staff ID is checked (if they are new to the school) and copy of ID is made and filed with their other documentation
- Assisting with recruitment including printing and creating packs for interviews
- Assisting with DBS administration including updating disclosures portal
CPD & Administration
- Liaise with relevant member(s) of staff to create Student Teacher induction and training programme according to IoE guidelines. Send out reminders before event.
- Obtain reports for ITT/ECT and send to appropriate organisation by recommended deadlines.
- Book external courses for all staff, add to database, keep on file and notify the finance department to raise order.
- Issue evaluation forms, attendance registers, file and record feedback electronically.
- Issue training providers with attendance registers and add to data.
- Undertake wider administration duties during the school holidays as required.
- Keep Performance Management Review records and collate staff targets and objectives using lessons learned, updating and distributing paperwork as appropriate.
- Administer the induction process for all new staff including creating induction packs for new staff, updating Induction Booklet and arranging induction sessions.
- Set up training events on INSET days including organising catering and premises facilities arrangements.
- Arrange Leadership/Management meetings. Negotiate costs with potential venues and when selected liaise with venue and ensure all requirements are met.
- Co-ordinate Harrow Collegiate Teaching Schools Alliance training sessions held at Hatch End High School.
OTHER DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health and safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to the Headteacher and/or Pastoral Support Manager
- Adopt flexible working practices where required
- To attend and minute take team meetings, staff meetings and school events as directed
- Ensure compliance with your responsibilities as laid out in the school’s equal opportunity policy and take an active role in promoting equality and diversity
- Take part in performance appraisal.
- To undertake first aid training and be on the register to administer first aid to pupils if required
- To act as Fire Marshall if required
- Undertake such other duties as reasonably correspond to the general character of the post and commensurate with its level of responsibility as and when required and with agreement
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school
- Appreciate and support the role of other professionals
- Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required
- To respect the confidentiality of all information relating to pupils, staff and their families
- The duties of the post outlined above are not exhaustive, and the post holder will be expected to be co-operative and flexible, undertaking such other duties as may reasonably be required.
As a HR apprentice with BPP you will complete the HR Consultant/Partner Level 5 Higher Apprenticeship, aligned with the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). You will complete the CIPD Intermediate Diploma in Human Resource Management. Once completed, you will also be able to apply for Associate Membership of the CIPD, and with further qualifications you could attain Chartered Membership.
The apprenticeship will be delivered through a blend of live online learning, pre-recorded lectures, and face to face inductions and masterclasses.
Minimum of 2 A Levels at grade C and 5 GCSEs at grade 4 including English and Maths or equivalent qualifications.
Ideally a graduate but would consider good results at A level.
Personal Qualities & Skills:
- Knowledge of Email and Office applications, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ideally some experience of administration work in a busy office environment
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, students, parents/carers, suppliers and contractors
- Able to maintain complete confidentiality and discretion at all times, combined with a calm personality and sound judgement
- Effective work presentation skills and a high degree of accuracy.
Initiative and ability to prioritise work
- Enthusiasm, energy and commitment
- A commitment to safeguarding & promoting the welfare of children and young people
- A willingness to undertake additional training, keep up-to-date with developments and changes in good practice
- Evidence of excellent attendance and punctuality record
- This post is subject to a DBS check.
As we are a SME organisation of 150 staff we have the size to offer the successful candidate a wide range of HR experience whilst still retaining a friendly working community. The national education landscape is changing rapidly, as schools move away from the Local Authority into autonomous academy trusts, which will provide numerous opportunities to develop your longer term HR career.