What will the apprentice be doing?
Reporting to the Commercial Manager or Senior Quantity Surveyor, you will work alongside the contract delivery team to ensure the profitability, cash management, cost control and accurate reporting of all schemes. Your role will require you to:
- Assisting with weekly cost to complete/budget reviews with the contract delivery teams
- Assisting to ensure draft/outline CTC's are completed via communication with Project Managers
- Maintaining deadlines in line with the monthly commercial calendar
- Attend internal and external commercial review meetings
- Ensure commercial challenge at all times to contract delivery teams
- Upload documentation as and when necessary, in line with business requirements
- Review weekly site records including allocation sheets and site diaries
- Attend project handover meetings
- Negotiating with suppliers and subcontractors
- Attend site progress meetings
- Assisting with the production of management information required and take responsibility for the accuracy of information (Provisions, Cash flows, Applications, etc)
- Assisting with the management of Risk Registers identifying project risks, opportunities and value engineering opportunities
- Work in conjunction with the contract delivery teams to ensure the budgets are not exceeded
- Assisting with the management of commercial aspects with the client including Compensation Events/Variations, Extension of Time and Completion request etc
- Ensure that the contract delivery team are briefed and have sufficient commercial support to monitor and react to budget variances
- Maximising value and minimising cost, ensuring that appropriate controls are in place to monitor and manage the operating cost base
- Ensuring that cash flow is maximised including ensuring that payments are received on time
- Assisting with the preparation of monthly financial performance reports
- Working with the contract delivery teams to manage project performance
- Assisting with the management of the commercial aspects of subcontract accounts from procurement to interim and final account agreement
- Preparation of and assistance with the evaluation and submission of claims from Subcontractors for Compensation Events/Variations
- Assisting with final account negotiation achieving the best possible outcomes
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
You will be required to attend Sheffield Hallam University on day release. The degree award is BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Targets for the Quantity Surveyor Degree Apprentice will be set and reviewed on a 6 monthly basis, aligned with the responsibilities and behaviours listed within this job description. The section below will be used to record key targets, which will align with Performance Reviews undertaken via the current Group process.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Number skills, Non judgemental
Other HNC Construction (Grade Merit) Essential
Things to consider
Driving licence is preferred.