About the apprenticeship
1. To assist in the design, development, implementation and support of software applications across the organisation.
2. Gain relevant software development skills through the completion an appropriate, part time, college based qualification.
3. To focus on skills development appropriate to the role in order to improve support of in-house developed software applications. Primarily in ASP.net, C#, VB.net, MVC, Java script and SQL
4. Focus on development and support of the Councils geographic information system
An exciting opportunity has arisen in our Corporate Services directorate for a Level 3 apprentice in the Council's Software Support Digital Services Team. The Council are implementing an ambitious Digital Services strategy.
Digital geographic information has a wide and varied use throughout the Council.
The successful candidate will develop skills primarily focused on supporting our GIS provision.
This includes development and support of numerous web based applications developed in ASP.net, QGIS, PostGIS and GEO Server.
Although this post will be GIS focused there will be the opportunity to develop skills and experience in line with the Application Development position.
1. Experience of application development
2. Knowledge of or an interest in digital mapping.
3. Database knowledge
4. The ability to analyse and solve technical problems logically
5. Good interpersonal skills with an ability to develop and sustain good working relationships with a variety of people, across the organisation
6. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
7. A high degree of flexibility in terms of working hours and location.
8. Must work well as part of a team and be able to demonstrate that they can be productive and trusted when working from home.
9. Must be able to embrace change and have a desire to innovate.
10. An ability to deal effectively with work pressure and deliver to a deadline
11. The ability to contribute to the process of change by persuading and influencing individuals and the team to adopt new work patterns, ideas and initiatives.
• A minimum of 5 GCSE's grades A-C Ideally in Mathematics, English and Computer Science.
• Actual web/internet development certification or training
Welsh Spoken Skills: No Welsh Written Skills: No
Gower College Swansea
IT Software, Web and Telecoms Level 3
About the employer
Swansea Council Civic Centre, Oystermouth Rd
Yes, we are part of the Disability Confident Scheme from the UK Department for Work and Pensions.
Please note that all apprenticeships are open to everyone. However, some organisations have worked to achieve Disability Confident accreditation. You should always apply for the apprenticeship you feel best suited to.
To be Arranged