Do you want to kickstart your career? Do you want to achieve a nationally recognised qualification with a guaranteed permanent position at the end? Then an apprenticeship with Amey could be for you!
Embarking on an apprenticeship at Amey is an incredible journey allowing you to gain a nationally recognised qualification whilst obtaining practical work experience and building core skills to help progress and shape the direction of your career!
Our two-year Foundation Degree Apprenticeship programme combines studying for your Mineral Products Technician Foundation Degree Apprenticeship qualification, alongside working with our experienced and qualified team of Highways professionals on a wide range of projects, including Sheffield’s largest highways infrastructure contract, Street’s Ahead worth £2bn!
The Network Team is responsible for the assets on the Sheffield Highway PFI contract, which includes the carriageway, footpaths, gullies, lighting columns, structures, signs & traffic signals.
As a key member of the team you will undergo training that will allow you to inspect the assets for condition, safety & serviceability. You will also receive formal training under the New Roads & Street Works Act (NRSWA) which is also a function of the Network team on the Sheffield contract.
You will learn how to carry out the following responsibilities:
- Carry out inspections in accordance with the PFI Highways Contract & Well Maintained Highways Code of General Practice
- Carry out compliance inspections on 3rd parties and utility companies working on the Network
- Complete Safety Inspections, in line with agreed timescales, procedures and standards.
- Document asset condition and inspection findings in relevant systems, in line with agreed data capture and management standards.
- Assist with the establishment and implementation of a programme of inspections and investigations
- Assist with project administration as required
- Comply with the relevant health and safety legislation
As part of your Apprenticeship, you will be enrolled onto a nationally recognised Mineral Products Technician Level 5 qualification via our training partner, Derby University. Your Apprenticeship typically takes 24 months to complete and is fully supported through a combination of regular online lessons, e-learning materials, and access to their team of experts for 1-2-1 advice and support.
Within Amey, you’ll be partnered with a “buddy” to assist you as you settle into your new role within our Network team, helping answer all those initial questions you may have. Once you’ve settled in, you will be allocated a mentor who will support you throughout your Apprenticeship, helping you develop the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed.
When you complete your Apprenticeship, your development does not stop! You’ll be given lots of opportunities to progress further within Amey as well as being encouraged to gain additional qualifications as you continue your career.
What do you need?
One of the best things about an Apprenticeship with us is that you don’t need to have experience of working on the Highways or any prior qualifications in this area!
We treat people as individuals. We want a range of abilities, from practicality and problem-solving to precision and creativity. That goes for diversity too. We want a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve and value the experiences that you bring to our business.
We keep our list of requirements short, but there are a few that you will need:
- Minimum Qualifications are:
- 5 GCSES including English and Maths at Grade 4/C or above, AND
- 3 A-Levels including a STEM Subject, such as: Maths, Science, Engineering, technology, OR
- Level 3 in BTEC Engineering
- Available to commence employment with Amey in August /September 2022
- The commitment and drive to complete your course and final assessment
- Passion to develop your skills both professionally and personally.
- A full driving licence would be desirable
What we will give you:
Here at Amey, our greatest asset is our people so that’s why we ensure that our rewards will make you feel that you are a valued part of us.
We will offer you a starting salary of £20,363.20 for the first year of your Apprenticeship. Not only that, but you will receive annual salary reviews to ensure that your input represents the reward you receive.
You will also receive:
- 24 days of annual leave per year, plus bank holidays.
- Access to our Save with Amey portal which will give you access to hundreds of offers to online retailers. You could save on your next holiday, day out or shopping spree!
- We have a flexible benefits scheme which you can buy additional annual leave, cycle2work schemes, gym memberships, travel insurance, tastecards, and lots more!
- You will join our bustling Early Careers community which is made up of over 300 Apprentices and Graduates where you can network, arrange fundraising initiatives, suggest ideas and get involved with lots of extra-curricular activities.
- Social value benefits which include the ability to volunteer for a charity of your choice, participation in the DofE award, and support for fundraising initiatives.
Why not take a look at our Early Careers Hub where you can find out more about our recruitment process, the benefits we offer, our Social Value commitments, Wellbeing and Support Services, along with a whole host of other useful information about how you would be part of our Early Careers community here at Amey.
Amey is one of the leading infrastructure services and engineering company. We are at the heart of modern Britain, helping the economy to grow by designing, maintaining, and transforming the nation’s strategic assets. We employ over 14,000 people which maintains the UK’s Road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe, and managing the UK’s defence estate. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design to manage the services we all use and rely on. At Amey, we value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. There’ll be experiences as original as you are in a career at Amey. Whether it’s working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people, you’ll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.