What will the apprentice be doing?
Trading Standards enforce a variety of laws covering the safety of goods, preventing people committing fraud, and maintaining high standards in the food chain. You'll learn from officers who conduct audits on businesses including farms and factories to ensure standards are met, and carry out criminal investigations into breaches of the law. If you have an interest in law enforcement work and developing analysis skills, then this apprenticeship will be perfect for you.
General role responsibilities will include:
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Assist with inspections of businesses / products, under the supervision of officers
- Take samples or conduct test purchases of goods / services under supervision
- Identify simple complaints / infringements and enter onto a Trading Standards Database for tasking
- Under supervision, prepare draft written advice for consumers and businesses to enable them to comply with relevant legislation
- Assist officers with investigations as directed, seizing goods, completing evidence continuity records and checking files / statements
- To participate in project work & surveys as directed by officers
- To input records of contacts with businesses and consumers, intelligence logs onto manual & electronic databases
- To assist officers in their duties, this may include lifting/moving of testing equipment
- To work flexibly under the council's flexi-time system, and be willing to work on weekends, early mornings or late evenings
- Be prepared to travel around the county visiting a variety of premises including outdoor markets, and further afield as necessary
- To be aware and implement the Service's procedures relating to Health & Safety, customer service and equal opportunities
- To maintain regular contact with line manager, trainer and mentor
Full training will be provided for all aspects of this role, and you will also be able to take advantage of the extensive training course opportunities open to all Warwickshire County Council staff. The skills, knowledge and behaviours learned on the job will enable you to complete the Level 4 Regulatory Compliance Officer apprenticeship, for which you will be given time to complete in your working hours and through training provided by CSA Services Ltd. The delivery of this apprenticeship is a mixture of work based portfolio building, plus workshops with CSA Ltd (delivered online) and associated assignments to complete.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
By the end of the apprenticeship you'll be a qualified Trading Standards Officer and able to apply for a further role within the service, subject to performance and availability. We provide substantial support to all our apprentices to ensure those who complete also stay with the Council after their apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade A - C / 9 - 4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade A - C / 9 - 4) Essential
A Level or equivalent Any two subjects or more (Grade A - C) Desired Things to consider
This role may occasionally require working evenings or weekends, for which time in lieu will be provided, but please acknowledge this is a requirement of the role.