Apprentice Laboratory Technician
Salary: £14,518 per annum, rising to £16,608 at the end of the first year
Contract Type: Full Time/Fixed Term (2 Years 6 Months)
Closing Date: 11th September 2022
Start Date: January 2023
Technology Access Centre Micro Nano Technology (I-TAC MNT) is part of the Business and Innovation Directorate (BID) within the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC). BID’s mission is to provide start-up and early stage companies with access to laboratory space, the use of high specification analytical equipment and opportunity to connect with trained staff in specialist areas. This offering allows companies with limited funding to conduct research and development by providing affordable and flexible access to equipped laboratories, cleanrooms, groundbreaking technology and technical expertise.
I-TAC MNT has been operational since April 2012 and is providing thriving commercial incubator laboratories to numerous full-time tenants and day-use customers in the energy, space and health sectors.
With the site now home to 25+ laboratories/facilities, divided between cleanroom, biological and general science laboratories, we are seeking an apprentice to work closely with the tenants and existing facilities team staff. The apprentice role will provide assistance and support to the existing facilities team helping with the operations, monitoring, basic maintenance checks of specialist equipment, facilities and services, including clean rooms and a class I biological laboratory, plus day to day upkeep of specialist laboratories.
Summary of key duties and responsibilities
This is an opportunity to complete a Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship through a combination of learning with the training provider ‘CSR’ and on-the-job experience within the Business and Innovation Directorate at STFC.
More information on this apprenticeship can be found on the Institute for Apprenticeships website: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/laboratory-technician-v1-2
The post holder will interact with and support tenants and users on a daily basis in providing basic facilities etc. Assisting existing scientists and engineers with the provision of suitable and safe facilities, equipment and laboratory environments to existing and future tenants and users.
The Apprentice will provide process, mechanical and electrical support to the I-TAC Team.
Main Duties on a daily basis will involve:
- Regular monitoring of cleanroom environment.
- Providing process support to MNT facilities team.
- Support with regular calibration of process equipment.
- Basic maintenance of laboratory services.
- Regular facility and equipment status checks.
- Working with electrical and mechanical engineers.
- Manage the disposal of waste chemicals safely, conforming to Health and Safety Executive policies.
- Assist with the design and reconfiguration of laboratory set-ups.
Shortlisting and Interview Criteria:
- GCSE Maths and English (Grade A* – C) or equivalent compensatory experience.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Experience with mechanical and/or electrical testing, assembly of components.
- Practical experience and knowledge of good laboratory practice.
- Experience of working in Laboratory and/or cleanroom environment.