What will the apprentice be doing?
A Technician Scientist in Cell & Gene Therapy carries out scientific experimentation, laboratory investigations and/or production activities across Research & Development and/or Commercial manufacture of Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs). They will use specialised technical skills and advanced scientific techniques following procedures associated with their organisations operational plans to deliver as part of a wider professional team. They operate within a highly regulated environment because of the need to control quality and safety of Advanced Therapies and use their awareness of the research context to contribute to the proposal of new scientific ideas.
· Performing laboratory investigations using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods relevant to the development of Advanced Therapies.
· Supporting the manufacture of Advanced Therapy Medicinal products according to Good Manufacturing Practice within a controlled clean room environment.
· Performing controlled cleaning of laboratories, clean room facilities and specialised equipment in accordance with approved standard operating procedures.
· Carrying out experiments, reporting results and the accurate recording of technical data in accordance with good practice and approved Standard Operating Procedures.
· Managing scientific projects from project planning through milestones, risk analysis and key performance measures to contribute to the wider organisations operational plans.
· Operating highly technical equipment, including but not limited to biological incubators, isolators, centrifuges and cryogenic storage vessels.
· Communicating with a wide range of scientific and non-scientific colleagues within the organisation such as Quality Control, Quality Assurance, supervisors and Engineering teams as required.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Technician Scientist L5 Apprenticeship Standard - ATMP pathway.
FdSc Applied Bioscience qualification.
Training through the University of Kent - distance learning. Apprentices are expected to complete one day study per week in paid working time. There will be two one week summer school's to attend at the University of Kent Canterbury Campus.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Possible permanent position on completion.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Team working, Motivation, Passionate, Reliable, Manage change positively, Time management
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4/C) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Biology (Grade C) Essential