Job Title: Able Seaman Apprentice
Location: Devonport, Plymouth
Working Week: 48 hours a weeknine weeks on and three weeks off
Salary: Up to GBP12038 per annum
Apprenticeship Qualification: L2 Seafarer
Expected Apprenticeship Duration: 24 months
Serco has a strong commitment to apprentices and training and as a successful Serco apprentice, you will be provided with unparalleled support throughout the duration of your programme. You will develop the skills you need for the job by working alongside your colleagues and getting hands on experience. You will be helped to build relationships with peers, allowing you to achieve your professional development objectives. Full training and support will be given for this role. About the role
As owners and operators of specialist vessels, from harbour workboats to oceangoing support vessels, we provide world class integrated maritime services both in the UK and abroad. Our vessels provide a range of support, which include for example: dive support, military training, submarine rescue exercises, target/test equipment deployment/recovery and passenger transfers. We have a great opportunity for a Able Seaman Apprentice to join our team.
• To work as a member of the deck department on-board assigned vessels and perform security duties as directed by the vessel security officer/vessel ;
• To learn and perform watchkeeping duties during day or night shifts, both at sea. These duties will include keeping a lookout on a sea passage during daylight or darkness as required by the master.
• To perform housekeeping duties which may include cleanliness of own and passenger accommodation, toilets, stairways, and other areas of the vessel.
• To learn and perform routine maintenance of the vessel and its equipment.
• To maintain own safety and security and that of the other persons, vessel and its equipment, cargo and environment whilst employed on-board.
• To undertake other duties commensurate with the level of the post as may be reasonably required from time to time. As part of our apprenticeship scheme, you ll be enrolled on Level 2 Seafarer qualification (delivered by North Kent College.). You ll also have access to a treasure trove of development opportunities and enjoy the full training, support, and encouragement of our super-friendly ; About you
We are looking for somebody who is, enthusiastic, confident, determined and hardworking and who is happy to constantly learn and develop new skills with an interest in marine services. You will be proactive, resourceful and efficient with a can-do attitude and committed to Serco s Values of Trust, Care, Innovation and ;
You ll have GCSE grades GCSEs Grades A to C or 9 to 4 under the new grading system in Maths and English (or acceptable equivalent). Things to consider
• It is essential that you are willing work out at sea for periods of time
• Capable of obtaining an ENG1 Unrestricted Medical Certificate including eyesight examination. An offer of apprenticeship will be made after obtaining ENG1 certificate.
• You must be 17 years old or older.
• You must hold a valid UK passport.
• You must Academic Qualifications GCSEs at grade C or above including Mathematics and English or equivalent qualifications from Scotland or Northern Ireland.
• As part of the recruitment process you will be required to complete online assessments
• You will be required to undergo security checks, which includes a check of criminal records. About Serco
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks - SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and ;
Please click on the apply button to complete your ;Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid ;
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. We operate a hybrid work structure in many of our business areas. We are proudly Disability Confident Leader employers and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an ;
At Serco we support fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the Ban the Box pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required). Please contact our recruitment team directly on to discuss.