What will the apprentice be doing?
• Carry out site surveys using GPS and other survey equipment
• Assist in producing record drawings and survey reports using AutoCad and other software
• Help in directing site resources with the Site Manager
• Undertake basic take off materials to create material schedules
• Assist in Survey of areas/quantities/structures using range of survey equipment and accurate reporting/ recording/measurement from data obtained
• Promotion of company's business interest and social responsibility by contributing to the safe and efficient management of the site, with due consideration given to our personnel, other stakeholders and the general public.
• Promotion of safe, healthy and environmental working in accordance with statutory requirements and accepted good practice
• Assist in administration of business systems for safety, environment and quality
• Alongside the Engineer and/or site manager liaise with third parties including utility companies, adopting authorities and neighbours
• Maintain site records, including diaries, setting out, quality control etc
• Contribution to internal and external site meetings
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The HNC element of the apprenticeship is made up of 8 units which all have assignments, including:
Technical drawings (CAD)
The end assessment for this apprenticeship standard is made up of 2 stages. Stage 1 consists of a project and written report (1500 - 1600 words) Stage 2 is made up of 2 parts. The first part is a 10 minute presentation on the project brief followed by 10 - 15 minutes of questions and discussion. The second part is a 30 - 40 minute interview around the written report produced as part of stage 1.
2 year day release (one day a week for college work)
Location will be at college
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Progression to Site Engineer or Site Agent with the opportunity to undertake further qualifications.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Administrative skills, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Self-disciplined, Time keeping, Good decision making, Can work under pressure
GCSE or equivalent Maths and English (Grade 4 / C) Essential
Things to consider
The role is partially based on site and will involve working outside. Personal Protective Equipment will be supplied. 28 days annual holiday entitlement. Mileage Expenses. Life & Accident Cover.