What will the apprentice be doing?
The Estimating Apprentice will deliver a range of support duties under the direction of their supervisor. They will assist Senior Estimators/Estimators to compile their estimates for submission including but not limited to the following -
- Downloading tender documents received from Clients and printing off as required.
- Checking that all listed tender documents have been received.
- Sending out initial subcontractor enquiries via in house portal.
- Ensure subcontractors receive all necessary information and can access same.
- Issue any addendums to subcontractors to incorporate in their tender returns.
- Collate any queries the subcontractors may raise and pass on to estimators.
- Chase return of subcontractor prices for the designated date.
- Attend internal meetings regarding the tender with the estimator.
- Attend site meetings with estimator and take notes, site measurements etc as instructed.
- Assist with measurement from drawings as instructed by estimator.
- Assist with analysis of subcontractor quotations as instructed by estimator.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The apprenticeship will require you to attend classroom based learning at London Southbank University, one day a week, with the remaining 4 days being in the office.
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, you will achieve a HNC in Construction, and developed the knowledge, skills and behaviours associated with the Construction Quantity Surveying Apprenticeship Standard.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The expected progression would be to work your way up the levels of the department from an apprentice, though to Assistant and up to Estimator/Senior Estimator.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4 - 9) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 7 - 9) Essential
Things to consider
Entry requirements for this course are: A Level DD or; BTEC National Diploma PPP or; Access to HE Diploma with 21 Merits or; Level 3 Apprenticeship in related subject or; Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 64 UCAS points 5 GCSE's including Maths and English (C or above) or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above)