What will the apprentice be doing?
- It is essential that you live and breathe global sports news and current affairs and come into the office every morning bursting to chat about what's going on in the world
- To assist the Editor and all members of the reporting team with all editorial aspects of producing the news on insidethegames.biz as well as the daily e-alert, the weekly alert and the LinkedIn weekly email, client sponsored emails, social posts and magazines published by the company, either as contract printers or in-house
- Researching and writing appropriate news articles and copy for submission to the Editors, and ultimately for publication on the website or in our publications
- Checking and ensuring all articles and copy sub-edited or written by you have no legal or libel mistakes and are accurate and timely
- Ensuring all images used have the appropriate permissions
- To sub-edit articles written by your colleagues and commissioned writers ready for making live by the Editors
- To ensure all editorial is circulated via social media
- Providing day-to-day support to the Editor and the editorial team.
- Writing several articles every day
- In time, writing Blogs and Big Reads
- To source and research images to illustrate articles as and when required ensuring legal and copyright obligations are met
- To take responsibility and help ensure that every day there are the required number of news stories live on the site to fill the Daily E-alert, of which three are related to Paralympics, which may involve writing news stories and articles
- To make sure that all sponsored sections and client-led editorial is produced and published to the timescales expected by the client and the Directors
- To attend planning meetings and be able to respond to action points raised
- To be aware of insidethegames.biz position/relationship in/to the sport industries
- To write for and represent insidethegames.biz and its brand to the highest possible level
- Representing the brand at functions and on press trips
- Wearing branded clothing at all times when representing the brand. This is either, a suit and an insidethegames.biz tie with appropriate shirt with the top button done up, or a branded insidethegames.biz polo shirt with smart trousers and footwear Branded outerwear will also be supplied and expected that it will be worn
- Working with the Editor and Managing Director to ensure quality of the products
- To communicate in a timely fashion with the Owners, Editor, Sub-editor and all your colleagues at all times
- Understand and know the statistics of the company's platforms
- To help ensure that insidethegames.biz strengthens its position within its sector through creative editorial and market awareness
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Working with the Editor-in-Chief, the Desk Editors and the entire editorial team to ensure the high editorial quality of the products and the market-leader position is maintained
- Working with your colleagues on a day-to-day basis
- Working with the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Director on new features of the site/products
- Working with the Sales and Marketing team to ensure cohesion within the company
Diploma in JournalismLevel 5.
The NCTJ Diploma in Journalism is the Gateway qualification for the apprenticeship.
Location: Milton Keynes.
Working 5 days per week including 1 day release for study with Darlington College. Day/Times TBC.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
On successful completion of this apprenticeship, you will be considered for a permanent position.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Team working, Creative, Initiative Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent GCSE grades in Maths and English (Grade A*-C/9-4) Essential
A Level or equivalent 3 A Levels or equivalent (Grade A* - C) Essential
Other Degree (any subject) (Grade Pass) Essential Things to consider
Most challenging part of the job: - Managing your time to ensure all work is carried out effectively and correctly in a timely fashion. - Have a good news sense, be organised and have an impeccable eye for detail. - Understand and work to house style. - Have an interest in the politics of sport, not solely an interest in reporting sport. - Be accurate and have impeccable grammar. - Work effectively and enthusiastically as part of a small team working on several projects simultaneously. - Juggle multiple and frequent deadlines. - Communicate effectively with owners and managers as well as people starting their career. - Communicate face-to-face, via phone, via email and via digital means such as Skype messaging and WhatsApp. - Look after your personal workspace and work to the company policy of a "clean desk" and "hot desking".