- To work within the residential setting at Potterspury Lodge School with vulnerable children and young people
- To support with daily routines for the children and young people and provide structure, consistency and high quality care.
- To manage, support and challenge difficult and challenging behaviours displayed by our children and young people.
- To plan, deliver and participate in a vast array of activities that are enjoyable, financially viable and age appropriate for the children and young people
- To actively promote and understand a culture of robust safeguarding where children are protected from harm and abuse.
- To maintain clean, tidy, welcoming houses for the children and young people.
- To maintain and keep accurate, legible, up to date records for all children and young people including daily logs, health and safety, food logs, menus, risk assessments and placement plans
- To hold weekly meetings in the houses with the children and young people in the houses.
- Attend work reliably and punctually and to follow a work pattern as required, which may include working a shift pattern and Bank Holidays and be prepared to work overtime if the need arises.
- To attend all training as required and be prepared to achieve qualifications appropriate to the role at any particular time as specified by the company.
- To undertake the role of key working for a child which entails recorded key working sessions for children and maintaining and updating key documentation for that child
- Do everything possible to safeguard our young peoples from any form of abuse from staff, visitors or each other and ensure staff follow the company policy/procedure. A strong understanding of safeguarding, child protection, systems, and processes surrounding reporting safeguarding concerns is required.
- To promote equality and diversity, acknowledging young people's differences and personal choices and uphold the rights of young people and staff and to challenge any discriminatory practice.
- To build and maintain professional relationships with the young people and staff at the establishment and any other company personnel.
- Working within and in accordance with the policies and procedures of Cambian.
- To promote and support independence of the children and young people in the residential setting.
- To provide a homely, clean, and well maintained living environment in the residential accommodation.
- To ensure that the medical needs of the young people are met - this encompasses administering medication, supporting young people to attend medical appointments, providing first aid
- Support the young people's emotional well-being by helping to maintain their interests and enabling them to keep in contact with family and those who are important to them.
- To promote learning whilst taking part in activities or the waking day curriculum
- To drive company vehicle and transport young people to and from offsite activities.
- Sleep in duties are optional but may be required
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Ability to follow a work pattern and attend work punctually and reliably, including early mornings, evenings, weekends and bank holidays (and to do 'sleep ins' at the establishment if required).
- Ability to identify own training needs and participate in training and development to enable you to carry out your job to the required standard and maintain continuous personal development/
- To undertake a full and active role that includes physical activities with children including sports, exercise, walks etc.
- Ability to read and understand written work of a professional nature and to write clear and accurate reports and plans
- Ability to form positive, appropriate relationships with young people based on trust and mutual respect.
- Ability to use ICT effectively and confidently.
- Desirable - 1 years' proven experience of working effectively with young people with learning disabilities and/or special needs.
- Desirable - Experience of planning, organising and participating in activities appropriate to meet young people's needs, abilities and interests
- Desirable - Proven experience of working with challenging behaviours - verbal and physical.
- Desirable - Ability to use I.T effectively and confidently.
- 5 GCSE A-C or equivalent - however not essential
Progression within Cambian groupThings to consider
Working holiday periods eg Christmas, working shifts and weekends - night shift when needed