What will the apprentice be doing?
The Apprenticeship will have placements across many of the key departments within the business to understand the wider business context of the role, however the focus will be in production build and assembly, production test, Manufacturing Engineering and Client Services.
On the job training will include
- Cable making training, including RF Cables. Understanding different connectors & types of cables. ·
- Soldering training. Through hole & Surface mount. Making PCBA's. Reworking components. Know when to use different soldering techniques.
- Gain an understanding of reading & writing Technical drawings.
- Learn electromechanical assembly skills, along with all the processes that come with that IE, Electrostatic Discharge (ESD), Torque standards & Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH). · Understand how production as a whole works alongside the processes, procedures & IT systems.
- Become capable of being able to follow a written work instruction, raising issues when incorrect or even suggestions to improve the build.
- Learning how to follow test procedures to test DTC products IE, Test golds for training.
- Being able to identify more efficient ways of testing a UUT & setting upon the correct process to suggest, update & test procedure.
- Working through Debug boards to learn key fault-finding techniques.
- Gain an understanding of PCB Schematics.
- Gain an understanding of Video & Broadcast products.
- Gain an Understanding of RF applications.
- To improve upon IT skills & gain a better understanding of the IT systems to work efficiently & effectively.
- Gain an understanding of all types of test equipment & competently use them. Manufacturing Engineering:
- Understanding, creating & editing Bill of Materials structures.
- Setting up & maintaining parts within an MRP system.
- Working with an ECR / ECN system (change request / change note).
- Creating cable drawings in house.
- Liaising with PCB / Cable suppliers to deal with issues that need resolving.
- Designing / maintaining PCB test fixtures.
- Problem solving test setups / fixtures when they are not working.
- Learn how to use engineering PCB schematics to de-bug PCB's & create product / test cables.
- Creating / maintaining build instructions for assembled product.
- Being the main point of contact for issues that arise during the build of a product & driving this through to a resolution.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Learning the real-world applications DTC Products are used in.
- Learning how to setup & test products that are used in Demo Kits.
- Gain knowledge of DTC software & how to use with DTC products.
- Learning to understand the needs of our customers.
- Assisting in small & large scale Product Demonstrations.
- Assisting the Sales Team on product knowledge.
- Assisting customers & the Sales Team with fault finding products.
- Learning how RF behaves in real world application.
- Gain knowledge of how customers integrate DTC products into their systems.
- Utilising skills for customer Special Projects, including sourcing & manufacturing parts, testing to DTC standard & related documentation.
- Assist Engineering in software development.
Qualification/s to be obtained: The successful candidate will work towards the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education course in Level 4 Engineering Manufacturing Technician. Which includes obtaining a HNC (level 4) in electrical and electronics Engineering.
Delivery method: · The training will be delivered by Business Plus at Fareham College, an Ofsted Outstanding College. Your training will be delivered Day Release, and you will attend Fareham College. The schedule of this day release is to be confirmed.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Possibility of a permanent role upon completion of apprenticeship for the right candidate.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4/C) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Science/Technology/Engineering (Grade 4/C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths (Grade C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Science/Technology/Engineering (Grade C) Essential Things to consider
Must have 5 GCSE's at Grade C or above, including Mathematics, English and a Science, Technology or Engineering related subject. A Levels at grade C or above in both a Mathematical based subject and a Science, Technology, Engineering or additional Mathematics related subject, or obtain/working towards an Engineering BTEC at level 3.