What will the apprentice be doing?
As a Systems Engineering Apprentice you will develop the key skills and experience in the following:
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Develop an understanding of the required behaviours and codes of practice of a professional engineer
- Understanding complex systems by working on different roles and tasks on on-going projects
- Familiarity with the Systems Engineering Lifecycle and activities
- Familiarity with System Engineering tools and methods for requirements capture, requirements management and system design
- An understanding of systems test activities including Integration, Validation, Verification and Qualification (IVVQ) and the associated processes and tools
- A methodical and structured approach to problem investigation
As a Systems Engineering Apprentice you will be enrolled onto the Level 6 Embedded Electronic Systems Design and Development Engineering standard. In Year 1 you will attend college 2 days per week to achieve an HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. In year 2 and Year 3 you will attend 1 day per week to achieve an HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. In Year 4 you will attend Portsmouth University 1-2 days per week to top up to a BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Upon completion of the degree you will go through an End Point Assessment upon which you will achieve the Level 6 apprenticeship. For the duration of this 4 year programme you will combine university studies with practical application, working within our system function in Crawley.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
You will become a system engineer within the system function.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent 5 incl. Maths & English (Grade 5-9/A*-C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths and a further STEM subject (Grade Min 2 A Levels Grades A-C) Essential
BTEC or equivalent Level 3 Extended Diploma Maths and a STEM (Grade MMM) Essential