Duration: 3.5 Years
Salary: £13,200, increasing to £20,300 in year two
Location: London Heathrow
Application Closing Date: 21 December 2022
Start Date: September 2023
You’ll earn your stripes working alongside some of the best engineers in the business. They’ll help you to develop your engineering skills, whilst repairing aircraft components in both ‘ramp’ and ‘hangar’ environments. You’ll rotate through different workshops, learning different skillsets, so you understand the nature of highly sophisticated aircraft components. Every day will feel new, and you’re going to be busy. As well as training on the job, you’ll be studying for the qualifications you need to become one of our future Workshop Engineers.
The initial induction to the business for this Apprenticeship will take place at our London Heathrow Base. For the remainder of the first year, this Apprenticeship will then be based at Kingston College, where you will study towards a Foundation qualification Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering.
For years two and three, you will work towards the completion of your Advanced Apprenticeship as a Workshop Mechanic, obtaining a BTEC in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering and a NVQ Extended Diploma in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering, where you will undertake placements at British Airways Heathrow base
We will also supplement your learning with additional Aircraft related training in Air Legislation, Human Factors and Aircraft Composite repairs.
We are looking for a minimum of five GCSE grades 9-4 (A*-C) or equivalent which must include Science, English & Maths (we accept predicted grades but they must be achieved by the apprenticeship start date). A strong communicator with an awareness for safety, a self-starter and the ability to adapt to change. Above all, a genuine passion for engineering.
What's in it for you?
Looking to join our apprenticeship scheme? You won't be disappointed. Recently being ranked #28 in the School Leavers Top UK Employers, we can't wait to welcome you into the British Airways family.
We have many benefits for apprentices at British Airways, here are a handful to showcase the diversity of our apprentice community:
- Part of our apprentice network and community, with the opportunity to engage with apprentices from all schemes in the business and learn from former apprentices
- Involvement in our bold sustainability vision, volunteering an active role to champion specific community groups including LGBTQ+ 'Flying Proud' and ethnic minority network 'BeMe'
- Involvement in Community Investment programmes, taking part in fundraising challenges for partnership charities, supporting causes close to your heart
- Volunteering in schools and colleges sharing personal experiences to inspire, empower and mentor students and support their potential to gain employment in the industry we love
- Access to heavily discounted flights to globe trot (with the opportunity to fly in style in our business class seats), and a generous annual leave entitlement to turn your bucket list into reality
Further Information & Next Steps
We are delighted you are considering applying! Here’s some more information you may need about the application process:
- All sections of your application need to be complete, including all online tests, by the deadline given
- Due to high volumes of applications, you may only apply for one graduate programme. We would recommend for you to read about each graduate scheme before applying as only your first application will be considered
- If you are successful with the online tests, you will be invited to complete a short video interview and application questions within a given timeframe
- Across all stages of the application process, if you fail to submit by the deadline, your application will be automatically withdrawn.
Do you have any questions or need advice? We will be running weekly virtual drop in centres for applicants to talk to our recruitment team. Come along any Tuesday between 4pm-5pm by joining the MS teams link.
Join our apprentice team to find out more about this programme where you can register to attend a webinar Live Q&A. Click here to find out more about the event and register your attendance. Don’t forget to keep an eye on our main event page on the careers website to see any events you can join to find out more information and top tips, as well as which upcoming events we will be attending.
Timelines for this recruitment process
- Initial applications open between 6 October– 21 December but may close earlier if volumes are high
- If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to complete a video interview in December
- If your video interview is successful, you will be invited to an Assessment Centre which will take place in February 2023