Duration: 3 Years
Salary: £12,000 in year one, increasing in year two
Location: Barry, Wales
Application Closing Date: 30 November 2022
Start Date: September 2023
About the Programme
British Airways Engineering Wales are searching for passionate, self-motivated and ambitious future apprentices who relish the opportunity to embark on a first-class engineering journey within the aviation industry. At British Airways Engineering Wales, we are fortunate to have all three Welsh British Airways subsidiaries operating alongside each other at one highly impressive, purpose-built site. This provides a unique and incredibly exciting opportunity for apprentices to experience and see first-hand engineering across all of the British Airways fleet, including aircraft maintenance, interiors and aircraft avionics.
The apprenticeship, based at Coleg y Cymoedd, Nantgarw Campus, will be full time on an enhanced engineering programme in year one. You will study a technical certificate as well as an NVQ practical qualification. The enhanced engineering programme has been developed to equip you with the skills, knowledge and understanding you need to enter into a career in the Engineering industry.
On successful completion of year one, you will then work on site at British Airways Engineering Wales (BAEW) in year two, with one day released to college per week. During this year you will work towards the second year of your technical certificate and in the workplace, you will follow an industry relevant NVQ practical qualification. Year three will see you work full time on location at British Airways Engineering Wales whilst continuing with the second year of the NVQ practical qualification. Placements will be rotated around all three businesses including British Airways Interiors Engineering, British Airways Avionics Engineering and British Airways Maintenance Cardiff. By the end of the programme, you will be ready to apply for an exciting role within British Airways Engineering Wales and work alongside our world class engineers.
We are looking for a strong team player who shows self-motivation and initiative. You will have achieved or are predicted to achieve:
- 5 GCSES A*-C including a B grade in Maths, C or above in English Language and Science. Alternatively, we will accept Level 2 qualification in Engineering (which includes the study of Mathematics and Science at Distinction level).
We also need you to be:
- Over the age of 16 and living in Wales
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- If over 18, ability to work the current shift pattern which comprises 4 x 12-hour days (6.20am – 6.30pm) followed by 4 rest days
- If under 18, ability to work a standard day shift (8.30am – 4.35pm)
What's in it for you?
If you’re inspired to join our apprenticeship scheme, you won't be disappointed. We have many benefits for apprentices at British Airways and here are a handful to showcase the diversity of our apprentice community:
- Increase in salary after you have completed the first year of your apprenticeship, if completed in line with your development objectives
- British Airways Engineering Wales uniform from year one to show you are part of the British Airways family from day one
- Part of the British Airways apprentice network and community, with the opportunity to engage with apprentices from all schemes in the business and learn from former apprentices
- Involvement in our ambitious sustainability vision, volunteering an active role to champion specific community groups including LGBTQ+ 'Flying Proud' and ethnic minority network ‘Be ME’
- Involvement in Community Investment programmes, taking part in fundraising challenges for partnership charities, supporting causes close to your heart
- Volunteering in schools and colleges sharing personal experiences to inspire, motivate and coach students and support their potential to gain employment in the industry we love
- Access to heavily discounted flights to globe trot, and a leave entitlement to turn your bucket list into reality
Further Information & Next Steps
We are delighted you are considering applying! Here’s some more information you may need about the application process:
- All sections of your application need to be complete, including all online tests, by the deadline given
- Due to high volumes of applications, you may only apply for one apprenticeship programme. We would recommend for you to read about each apprenticeship scheme before applying as only your first application will be considered
- If you are successful with the initial application, you will be invited to complete a short video interview within a given timeframe
- Across all stages of the application process, if you fail to submit by the deadline, your application will be automatically withdrawn
Do you have any questions or need advice? We will be running weekly virtual drop in centres for applicants to talk to our recruitment team. Come along any Tuesday between 4pm-5pm by joining the MS teams link.
Don’t forget to keep an eye on our event page on the careers website to see any events you can join to find out more information and top tips, as well as which upcoming events we will be attending.
Timelines for this recruitment process
- Initial applications open between 6 October– 30 November but may close earlier if volumes are high
- If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to complete a video interview in December.
- If your video interview is successful, you will be invited to a Virtual Assessment Centre which will take place in February 2023.