What will the apprentice be doing?
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- You will follow a custom-made training scheme, you will develop core skills in the areas of science and engineering whilst undertaking wider practical elements of training on our exciting new build, commissioning/decommissioning programmes.
- Our Nuclear Engineering / Scientist Degree Apprenticeship gives you the opportunity to specialist in a variety of different areas, including; Civil Asset Management, Control Systems, Engineering Design, Engineering & Maintenance, Operations, Quality Management, Scientific, and Technical.
- Throughout the scheme, you will get to work on exciting projects and deliver complex pieces of work whilst becoming an integral part of a community of enthusiastic, talented individuals, who will go on to shape the future of Sellafield Ltd.
- As an integral part of your apprenticeship your progress will be monitored and assessed against government standard requirements. You will compile an evidence folder, demonstrating your areas of learning with accredited certificates of completion for elements of your training.
- Within the last six months of your apprenticeship you will undertake an assessment by an independently appointed organisation, where you will be expected to clearly demonstrate your capability to perform in your chosen career.
The Degree Apprentice Programme consists of 2 phases;
- Level 5 ST0380 Nuclear Technician Apprenticeship
- Level 5 Foundation Degree/ Higher National Diploma (HND) in Engineering or Science aligned to your chosen pathway
For candidates with the potential to progress further:
- Level 6 ST0289 Nuclear Scientist and Nuclear Engineer Apprenticeship
- Level 6 Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (BEng) or Science (BSc) aligned to your chosen pathway, over a further 2-year period.
You will undertake a 3-month induction programme based at our local off-site training facility at Lillyhall, Cumbria.
Work placements will be based on either the Sellafield site or one of our various satellite offices. Academic Learning will take place 1 day a week at our training providers off-site training facility. In addition, some pathways will undertake a Practical Engineering Operations at our local off-site training facility.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Following successful completion of your apprenticeship, we will look to retain you in a professional full time position at Sellafield Ltd.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Team working, Initiative Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent English Language (Grade 4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Mathematics (Grade 4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Science or Engineering subject (Grade 4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent x2 Any Subject (Grade 4) Essential
A Level or equivalent STEM Subjects (Grade 96 UCAS Points) Essential Things to consider
To succeed on your chosen pathway, you should have a passion for a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths) based subject and a desire to pursue a career within the field.