Markel Welcome to Markel, we are a specialist insurer with offices across the world, our international business is located throughout UK, Europe, Canada and Asia Pacific. We help our customers manage life’s most complex risks, so should the worst happen they have the support to move forwards.
We strive for better in everything we do, since our humble beginnings in 1930 we have grown to an organisation with thousands of employees worldwide.
What is the role?
An exciting opportunity has come up to join Markel International’s Insurance team as an apprentice for 18 months. Successful candidates will be highly valuable and integral members across the business, as the role consists of liaising with a number of departments. The exposure to a number of departments ultimately will lead to a broader understanding of the business and an opportunity to accelerate your career.
As an apprentice on the Wholesale Insurance programme you’ll be assigned to either Claims, Underwriting Support Services or Professional and Financial Risk:
- The Claims team manages the claims arising from their six underwriting divisions; it’s aim to provide excellent customer service to their clients and brokers, giving them confidence that their business can keep going whatever happens.
- Markel International relies heavily on the underwriting support team to enter data and carry out various administrative-related tasks for the Wholesale division.
- The Professional and Financial Risk (PFR) team underwrites for businesses worldwide, their purpose is to evaluate and analyse the risk involved with insuring people and assets. The PFR area covers both the traditional and emerging risk sectors for professional indemnity, directors and officers and crime exposures.
Day to Day Responsibilities
As an apprentice on this programme you’ll quickly become an expert in your field. Throughout this Insurance programme, you will…
- Take part in structured training conducted by senior employees with an extensive amount of knowledge in the industry to ultimately learn the fundamentals of insurance and its industry.
- Support the team with administrative tasks and learn the terms and acronyms used by specialists across the insurance sector.
- Perform back office operations to support the underwriters such as administrative tasks, legal and data management.
- Under management supervision, you will support attending events to build relationships with stakeholders, such as brokers and clients to understand their needs.
- Collaborate and problem-solving with the Wholesale departments to successfully complete a range of challenging yet rewarding insurance-related tasks which will shape you into an experienced professional over a period of time.
- Under supervision, learn how to understand, review and manage a client’s risk.
- Data entry using a number of systems, predominately excel.
- Study towards a credible Level 3 Insurance Practitioner - Cert CII qualification.
- Attend regular check-ins to review performance so that you have every opportunity to progress and gain more autonomy within your role.
Why you should apply
- You will be supported by a friendly and welcoming team with an extensive amount of knowledge in the industry.
- Your development doesn’t just stop after your programme. Markel are committed to you and your career and so you’ll continue to be supported through training and further qualifications as you continue to progress at Markel.
- The office is located in the Walkie-Talkie building, with 360 degree views of London!
- Markel encourages career development by offering 1-1 mentorship to help employees reach their personal targets.
- Competitive starting salary with an excellent package - including; private medical insurance, your own financial coach, hybrid work structure, gym discounts, cycle-to-work scheme, motor breakdown cover, income protection and additional countless benefits that will be shared at the first stage of the process!
Who can apply?
- Inquisitive school leavers who are curious about the insurance world.
- Patient, proactive, resilient and hard-working school leavers who are eager to learn from experienced peers.
- Strong team players with excellent interpersonal skills who are able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Organised and dedicated school leavers who can self-manage their workload and study effectively to ensure they see results.
- Displays clarity of thought, as well as strong attention to detail.
- IT literate individuals familiar with using Microsoft office packages such as Word and Excel.
- Looking for a resilient and analytical thinker who is confident working with data.
- Be able to maintain high standards of accuracy and demonstrate initiative & self-discipline.
- Achieved or is on track for at least 3 A Levels Grade C or above (or equivalent qualification).
- Achieved GCSE Maths and English at Grade 4 or C or above (or equivalent qualification).