Markel Welcome to Markel, we are a specialist insurer with offices across the world, our international business is located throughout UK, Europe, Canada and Asia Pacific. We help our customers manage life’s most complex risks, so should the worst happen they have the support to move forwards.
We strive for better in everything we do, since our humble beginnings in 1930 we have grown to an organisation with thousands of employees worldwide.
What is the role?
An exciting apprenticeship opportunity has come up to join Markel International’s Broker Sales team. The successful candidate will work closely with underwriters and brokers to calculate client risk and premiums, delivering excellent customer service to their clients. The team consists of a diverse group of experienced individuals, looking to teach their knowledge and skills to new employees.
Day to Day Responsibilities
You will kick start your programme by taking part in structured training conducted by senior employees with an extensive amount of knowledge in the industry to ultimately help you learn the fundamentals of insurance and The Markel Style. Throughout the programme you will:
- Learn the terms and acronyms used by specialists across the insurance sector.
- Provide administrative support to the wider team as you learn the systems and underwriting process.
- Be responsible for dealing with enquiries from brokers using Markel’s CRM technology system.
- Work with the team to assess client risk.
- Build strong rapport with your broker clients to gain a solid understanding of their needs and requirements, attending regular face-to-face and virtual meetings to deliver a strong level of customer service.
- Collaborate with different internal departments, such as legal and underwriting teams to support with designing the right terms for policies and calculating the premium.
- Study towards a credible Level 3 Insurance Practitioner - CII qualification.
- Attend regular check-ins to review performance so that you have every opportunity to progress and gain more autonomy within your role.
Why you should apply
- You will be supported by a friendly and welcoming team with an extensive amount of knowledge in the industry.
- Your development doesn’t just stop after your programme. Markel are committed to you and your career and so you’ll continue to be supported through training and further qualifications as you continue to progress at Markel.
- Markel encourages career development by offering 1-1 mentorship to help employees reach their personal targets.
- Competitive starting salary with an excellent package - including; private medical insurance, your own financial coach, hybrid work structure, gym discounts, cycle-to-work scheme, motor breakdown cover, income protection and additional countless benefits that will be shared at the first stage of the process!
Who can apply?
- Inquisitive school leavers who are curious about the insurance world.
- Patient, proactive, resilient and hard-working school leavers who are eager to learn from experienced peers.
- Strong team players with excellent interpersonal skills who are able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Organised and dedicated school leavers who can self-manage their workload and study effectively to ensure they see results.
- Displays clarity of thought, as well as strong attention to detail.
- Proactive school leavers who want experience within a client facing and sales-focused role.
- Individuals who are confident working with data and numbers.
- A self-motivated, driven individual with a willingness to hit and overachieve targets.
- IT literate individuals familiar with using Microsoft office packages such as Word and Excel.
- Achieved or is on track for at least 3 A Levels Grade C or above (or equivalent qualification).
- Achieved GCSE Maths and English at Grade 4 or C or above (or equivalent qualification).