Markel Welcome to Markel, we are a specialist insurer with offices across the world, our international business is located throughout UK, Europe, Canada and Asia Pacific. We help our customers manage life’s most complex risks, so should the worst happen they have the support to move forwards.
We strive for better in everything we do, since our humble beginnings in 1930 we have grown to an organisation with thousands of employees worldwide.
What is the role?
An exciting apprenticeship opportunity has come up to join Markel International’s Finance team. The successful candidate will be an integral team member as the Finance department supports nine business divisions and all offices across the UK, Europe, Canada and Asia Pacific. The role is varied as the candidate will be responsible for recording financial transactions, providing financial information to Markel Corporation, ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory reporting obligations, planning and forecasting future performance and providing accurate financial performance information to key decision makers. The successful candidate will rotate between the three main operational areas; Financial & Regulatory Reporting, Reinsurance and Business Accounting & FP&A and Business Partnering. The rotational programme will equip you with the knowledge and skills necessary to build a long-term career in finance.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Investigate account queries and prepare bank reconciliations.
- Assist with strategic growth plans in order to maximise Markel’s profitability.
- Process financial transactions into core financial systems.
- Chase debtors for payments as a credit controller and manage debtor ledgers.
- Use systems such as Alteryx, Access, Oracle and Excel.
- Collect data and carry out internal and regulatory reports.
- Ensure reporting is compliant with statistical reporting requirements.
- Learn acronyms, jargon and technical terms used in the financial industry.
- Work closely with external parties and underwriters to help make financial decisions.
- Work alongside accountants and technical experts across the different operational areas in Finance and report to the team based in the United States.
- Study towards a credible Level 3 Assistant Accountant - AAT qualification.
- Attend regular check-ins to review performance so that you have every opportunity to progress and gain more autonomy within your role.
Why you should apply
- You will be supported by a friendly and welcoming team with an extensive amount of knowledge in the industry.
- Your development doesn’t just stop after your programme. Markel are committed to you and your career and so you’ll continue to be supported through training and further qualifications as you continue to progress at Markel.
- The office is located in the Walkie-Talkie building, with 360 degree views of London!
- Markel encourages career development by offering 1-1 mentorship to help employees reach their personal targets.
- Competitive starting salary with an excellent package - including; private medical insurance, your own financial coach, hybrid work structure, gym discounts, cycle-to-work scheme, motor breakdown cover, income protection and additional countless benefits that will be shared at the first stage of the process!
Who can apply?
- Inquisitive school leavers who are curious about the insurance world.
- Patient, proactive, resilient and hard-working school leavers who are eager to learn from experienced peers.
- Strong team players with excellent interpersonal skills who are able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Organised and dedicated school leavers who can self-manage their workload and study effectively to ensure they see results.
- Displays clarity of thought, as well as strong attention to detail.
- Enthusiastic and energetic individuals with a willingness to work hard.
- Resilient and analytical thinkers who are confident working with data.
- IT literate individuals familiar with using Microsoft office packages such as Word and Excel.
- Any experience working with SQL or python is beneficial.
- Achieved 3 A Levels Grade C or above (or equivalent qualification). A level Maths is beneficial but not essential.
- Achieved GCSE Maths and English at Grade 4 or C or above (or equivalent qualification).