What will the apprentice be doing?
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Visit sites and survey buildings/installations with senior engineers
- Learn to report findings
- Support engineering team in producing design documents and drawings using AutoCad and Revit
- Attend meetings and work in teams, alongside MEP Engineers, Building Users, Architects and Structural Engineers
- Use modelling software to examine building thermal properties and help visualise schemes
- Attend uni to further qualifications
- Carry out uni coursework and assessments/exams
- Read up and self learn to help support your development
- Record your continued professional development to support industry membership progression
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- BEng(Hons) Buildings Services Degree Apprenticeship with UWE, Bristol
- Courses are day release. Usually one day a week at uni
- Depending on the level of qualification already held, degree course is 3 or 5 years
- A Level students will need to get a C or above in A Level Maths to gain entry to UWE
Following a successful apprenticeship, the candidate will be degree qualified, have several years project experience and be able to progress their professional qualifications to become a Chartered Engineer CEng.
Engineers follow the industry professional route set out by CIBSE which takes them through from Apprentice, Graduate, Engineer and Senior Engineer onwards to become an Associate and hopefully a company Director in their future career path.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience, Physical fitness, Confident, self motivated Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent Maths, English, Science (Grade 5 and above) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths (Grade C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Science especially Physics (Grade C/D) Desired Things to consider
This is a mainly office based design role using 2D and 3D design software. A requirement for strong Maths understanding is key to enable you to identify anomalies. You will be expected to visit site and meet clients in meetings so confidence is also key. Great written work will be required in order to present strong reports and specifications.