Software Engineer Degree Apprentice

Burgess Hill, West Sussex
£16,800 per annum, increasing to £30,000 on successful completion of the four year course
02 Jan 2019
31 Jan 2019
Continental SE
Role Type
Apprenticeship, Degree
Start Date

Software Engineer Degree Apprentice at Continental 

Continental is a leading multi-national Tier1 automotive company which develops a broad range of products including tyres, powertrains, safety and infotainment systems.  This role is within the Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) business group at our R&D site in Brighton area, UK, which includes around 90 highly skilled and internationally diverse scientists, engineers and computer vision experts.

As part of Continental’s vision 2025 for fully autonomous driving, we are developing assisted driving technologies, such as automated parking and emergency braking.  We analyse video streams from multiple cameras around the vehicle to create a 360 degree scene understanding, using techniques such as geometrical computer vision (Camera Calibration, Structure from Motion) and Machine Learning.

The role sits within the Systems team here at our Continental site near Brighton.  The site includes approximately 90 highly skilled and internationally diverse scientists, engineers and computer vision experts.  The role reports into one of our Team Leaders, and requires collaboration with engineering professionals within the site and beyond. Areas that will be incorporated include image/video processing, scripting languages, data encapsulation formats, computer vision algorithms and embedded systems.  

About Continental Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) Software Team

As an apprentice, you will contribute to the delivery of state-of-the-art software tools, especially PC based simulation tools to support in-car electronic control unit development, while gaining valuable industrial experience in a vibrant and multinational team. 

Our apprenticeship programme is a four year course, starting in September 2019. This is a full time opportunity, with 80% of your time being spent doing “on the job” training, and the remaining 20% being spent studying for your BSc Digital and Technology Solutions degree through the University of Chichester.

Promoted Technical Skills:

• General software development experience (preferably C/C++)

• Experience in continuous integration tools and version control (e.g. git)

• Knowledge of some form of GUI toolkit – preferably QT(5)

Examples of Talent Development Areas:

• Image/video processing (esp. Formats/conversions: YUV, RGB,  etc)

• Scripting languages (object oriented, e.g Python, Perl/PHP)

• Data encapsulation formats such as XML and Json (reading/writing)

• Computer Vision algorithms

• Embedded systems

Job requirements:

• Reaching a satisfactory level in A Level / GCSE (e.g. English and Maths GCSEs at grade C/level 4 or above, and three A Levels at grade C or above)

• A keen interest in engineering and software development

• Fluent English language speaking and comprehension skills are essential

• Good communication and teamwork skills, working in a multicultural environment

• Enthusiastic about technology and willing to research and learn

• Interest in automotive applications

• Organised and focused

• Team player with a “can-do” attitude


• Salary of £16,800 per annum for first year, with annual increments to be awarded subsequently, with a guaranteed role at £30,000 per annum to be offered upon satisfactory completion of four year course.

• Pension Scheme, Private Healthcare, Flexible working

More searches like this