Apprentice Logistics Mover
- Royal Air Force
- Pay during first 6 months- £16,23
- Closing date
- 30 Jun 2023
- Uniformed & Defence Services
- Public Sector / Government
- Role Type
- Start Date
Logistics Movers are responsible for the movement of troops and cargo according to RAF operational needs. You will operate IT systems, load and unload transport aircraft and accompany cargo all over the world.
It is a varied trade with an array of responsibilities. You could work in a port where shipments of cargo and explosives are handled, or help put together an under-slung load for a helicopter. Like most people in the RAF, you will probably move jobs every few years.
- Check in passengers and cargo flying out on operations Operate a forklift and other vehicles to load freight for transport Plan loads using logistical IT systems Opportunity to drive and operate specialist aircraft handling equipment
Level 2 Apprenticeship in Aviation Ground Operative.
Pay during first 6 months - £16,844
Pay until completion of phase 2 training - £21,420
After first year - £22,285*
* Conditions apply
Top level - £54,818**
**subject to promotions and time served
Training you’ll receive
Your career will start with a 10-week Basic Recruit Training Course at RAF Halton in Buckinghamshire. The course is designed to help you adjust to a military environment. As well as fitness and military training, you’ll also learn about the RAF lifestyle and gain your Functional Skill in Mathematics and English. Your next step will be a specialist training course to give you a basic understanding of your role as a Logistics Mover, which includes transport procedures and regulations, aircraft loading and the handling of passengers and cargo.
As part of an extraordinary team, you will be provided with a comprehensive and ongoing on the job training package. You will learn and develop the skills you need to enable you to support military operations in challenging locations across the globe and at home.
- Competitive salary which rises after training and has yearly incremental increases with opportunities to earn up to £52,837 subject to promotions throughout your career. Automatic non-contributory pension scheme. Full on the job training. Free gym membership. Accommodation provided with heavily subsidised fees for single members and families. Wide range of subsidised training and education available. Minimum 38 days paid holiday per year. Opportunity to take part in adventurous training and sporting activities during work time, subsidise travel, entry fees and equipment costs. Subsidised meals with on-base catering. Free private healthcare and dental care. Member of Defence Discount Service. Railcard for £21 a year. Competitive Maternity and Paternity leave. Job Security.
- Be a citizen of the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland, holder of a dual UK/other nationality or have been a Commonwealth citizen from birth. Be between 16 and 47 (Must attest before 48th birthday). Pass a Fitness test. Commit minimum 3 years post Phase Two Training. There are health and fitness requirements that must be met by all applicants. You must have, at least, a UK DVLA provisional driving licence.
For more than 100 years the Royal Air Force (RAF) has defended the skies of the UK and protected its interests around the world. The RAF currently works with its allies and international partners to provide assistance at home and globally.
Working in the RAF means that you will play an important part in responding to threats, preventing conflict, delivering aid and work in partnerships with other military services, government or civilian authorities.
LIFE IN THE RAF
With the RAF you will get much more than just a job – you’ll have opportunities that no other employer can hope to match with extraordinary on the job training. From worldwide travels to lifelong friendships, life in the RAF is a unique experience. In addition to your pay, the RAF provides subsidised accommodation, food and sport, as well as free health and dental care.
The opportunities don’t end there. You can choose to play sport at multiple levels from representing the force on an international stage to playing casually on base with your friends. If adventure is more your thing the RAF has plenty to offer whether it be Adventure training on the weekends to travelling to areas of the world you never thought you’d see. Or, perhaps you’d rather spend your spare time visiting friends and family. You will have plenty of opportunities to do all this and more with a role in the RAF.
Our differences make us stronger. That’s why the RAF is leading in diversity and one of the most inclusive forces in the world. The RAF recognizes the value of a person’s ability no matter their ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender identity or sexual orientation. Inclusion is about valuing and harnessing people’s unique backgrounds, talents and perspectives.
We believe that keeping the skies safe and safeguarding our nation’s security can only be achieved with a diverse force. Our strength comes from our differences.
The RAF is no ordinary employer, with us you will get a huge range of benefits:
- Automatic non-contributory pension scheme.
- Yearly incremental pay increases.
- Full on the job training.
- Free gym membership.
- Accommodation provided with heavily subsidised fees for single members and families.
- Potential options for flexible working around childcare (job role dependent).
- Opportunity to gain a range of driving licences.
- Wide range of subsidised qualifications and education available.
- Minimum 38 days paid holiday per year.
- Opportunity to take part in adventurous training and sporting activities during work time, subsidised travel, entry fees and equipment costs.
- Sponsorship for talented personnel to compete at the highest-level sport.
- Subsidised meals with on-base catering.
- Free private healthcare and dental care.
- Member of Defence Discount Service.
- Railcard for £21 a year.
- Competitive Maternity and Paternity leave.
- Job Security: During COVID19 Pandemic we have continued to pay full salaries and have not needed to furlough any of our employees
- 0345 605 5555
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert