Salary: £13,564 rising to £15,551 in Year 2
Contract Type: Fixed Term (2 years)
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: 4th February 2019
Interview Date: 13th February 2019
If you are looking to begin a rewarding career within ICT, this could be just the start you are looking for - an Apprentice IT Support Engineer position at the STFC Daresbury Laboratory in Warrington, Cheshire.
The apprenticeship will take 2 years to complete and you will gain essential computer IT related experience and skills throughout your apprenticeship. You will complete the Level 3 Infrastructure Technician standard which will develop and expand your technical competencies; knowledge, skills and behaviours and underpinning skills to work within an IT role. In addition, you will undergo specialist units of study such as Cisco CCNA, Coding and Logic and Cloud Computing.
Working as part of the Digital Infrastructure IT Support team to support and maintain desktop computers, hardware, software and portable devices, whilst providing support and assistant to staff and users throughout the Sci-Tech campus at Daresbury.
Service Desk/Desktop Support:
- through training to support first and some second line business support as part of Service Desk team
- to support Digital Infrastructure Service desk by call logging, resolution and escalation
- to assist with the purchasing/specifying of new hardware (Laptop/Desktops) and software applications
- to provide software/hardware technical support
- to provide technical support for Video Conferencing (VC)
- to support for mobile telephony users
- to provide technical support by testing hardware, PC upgrades and testing non-standard build software
- assistance and participation with ICT projects
- produce clear and concise written operating procedures and support documentation
- support user accounts
- provide good and friendly face-to-face, email, telephone and remote support communication and solutions
- assist with Computer Operations Procedure (COP) and disaster recovery procedures (DRP) across all computer rooms
- gain understanding of monitoring systems and learn how to develop further.
Contacts and Communication:
- digital infrastructure colleagues at all levels
- other IT Service Desk personnel across all STFC sites
- staff at all levels of the organisation, occasionally Directors and other Senior Management
- staff at all levels in other stakeholder and tenant organisations, UKSBS and Research Councils.
Any other Relevant Information:
- occasional travel between sites – primarily to Didcot, Oxfordshire or UKRI Head Office in Swindon
- the role may require some manual handling of bulky and moderately heavy items
- in exceptional circumstances, out of hours working may be required on an ad-hoc basis.
Shortlisting & Interview (S&I) criteria
- minimum of 5 GCSEs at Level 4 (Grade C) or equivalent – including Maths, English and Science (S).
- experience of PC-based computer systems and applications; (S&I)
- some knowledge of Microsoft Desktop Products; (S&I)
- some experience of configuring Smartphones; (S&I)
- understanding of the importance of IT security (I)
- sufficient practical skills to do manual tasks such as assemble/dismantle racking, moving awkward/heavy objects and changing power supplies or fans in equipment (I)
- a flexible attitude to working hours and the work you will undertake along with a commitment to meeting customer needs (S&I)
- a willingness to learn and use new skills (S&I)
- experience in using Microsoft application, programming language and web design (S&I)
- qualification in a relevant IT field would be desireable, but not essential (S&I).
- excellent interpersonal skills (I)
- the commitment and skills needed to be an effective team player in a close-knit team (S&I)
- experience of successfully working in such an environment (I)
- an easy going temperament, well organised, self-motivated and able to work under pressure (I)
- ability and willingness to undertake occasional travel between sites (I)
- the role may require some manual handling of bulky and moderately heavy items (I).
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please visit our job board at http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc248008_9035.aspx. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.