Programme Information Apprentice
- Channel 4
- Channel 4, The Majestic Building, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS1 2EF
- Closing date
- 27 Feb 2023
- Advertising, Media & PR, Technology
- Role Type
- Start Date
- 12-18 months
Job Title: Programme Information Apprentice
Reports to: Senior Programme Information Editor
Department: Content Information
Number of roles: 1
Start date: September 2023
THE C4 APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMME
If you are looking for an opportunity to gain work experience and a qualification, then an apprenticeship at Channel 4 might be for you.
Our Apprenticeships are full-time, with four days per week spent working in a C4 department and one day per week completing the formal learning parts of the apprenticeship.
The formal training provided will consist of workshops, tutorials, webinars, coaching and in some cases residential boot camps. The training is dependent on the qualification your apprenticeship offers and will be explained in detail by the training provider before you officially begin the course. You can read more about the qualification being offered for this apprenticeship below.
Our apprenticeships are aimed at school leavers and people who do not have a degree. If you have a degree, please look at our Production Training Scheme or the Channel 4 Jobs website for other opportunities suitable for you.
If you’d like some tips on writing your application before you apply, please watch our recent YouTube video, How to Write an Outstanding Application.
The programme aims to offer opportunities to those currently underrepresented in the TV industry, so we are particularly keen to hear from Deaf and/or disabled people, ethnically diverse people and people from lower socio-economic groups.
Am I eligible to apply?
You must be 18 years old or over at the time the scheme starts to apply. There is no upper age limit.
The Programme Information team is part of Content Management, a business-critical, responsive department that performs a wide range of tasks to support the delivery of our channels’ programmes, on TV and on All 4.
The Programme Information team is responsible for publishing the following information for all Channel 4 programmes, for all of our channels and for All 4:
- TV listings (for print and online listings publications, e.g. the Radio Times)
- EPGs (TV on-screen guides)
- Programme descriptions on All 4
This apprenticeship would really suit someone who is:
- Passionate about content writing
- Wants to a pursue a career in journalism/content creation
- Who has an incredibly strong written communication style
- Management, editing and publication of certain editorial metadata for listings, EPGs and All 4 content
- Providing assistance to Programme Information Editors, and sometimes deputising for them, when necessary
- Publication of listings and EPGs, including schedules, billings and updates
- Managing the workload efficiently and meeting regular publication deadlines
- Working independently and building relationships with the team, the department and relevant colleagues and contacts
- Developing a good level of understanding of C4 systems and applications
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
As part of the application process, you’ll be asked to tell us how you meet the essential criteria listed below. When answering this question think about examples from your experience so far, this doesn’t need to be professional experience but could be academic, from volunteering or a part-time job.
We’ve provided some examples beside the first four criteria of experience that could demonstrate you have these skills. Please note you do not need to use these examples; they are just here for guidance, and you should draw from your own personal experiences.
- Verbal and written communication skills - Verbal - e.g. experience of dealing with customers or working as part of a team. Written – e.g. writing emails, completing an application form or essay, or if you have a hobby that involves creative writing.
- Attention to detail - e.g. Cashing up on tills or proofreading coursework.
- Organisation skills and ability to prioritise tasks - e.g. Planning events whether personal or for professional purposes, as well as managing work life balance, for example working whilst doing coursework/exams.
- An understanding of and a passion for Channel 4's remit
- Passionate about writing and content creation
- An appreciation of the role of programme information and its influence on viewers
QUALIFICATION OFFERED WITH THIS APPRENTICESHIP
Content Creator Level 3
LENGTH OF APPRENTICESHIP
ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION FORMATS
If you are unable to complete the Apprentice application, we are happy to consider alternative formats of the application form.
For example, you could arrange a phone call with 4Skills for you to speak your answers and a member of the team can scribe, or if you’d like to create a five minute YouTube video/ voice recording, these are also options available. If you have a different alternative, we really welcome your suggestions to ensure you have a fair chance of applying.
Take a look at our access page for more information, which you’ll find by clicking here. You can also watch our recent YouTube video, Demystifying Interview and Workplace adjustments.
If you have any questions about this apprenticeship vacancy please email the 4Skills team direct at 4Skills@channel4.co.uk.
If you need to relocate in order to take up this opportunity, we can offer you support towards the financial costs of moving. This includes a contribution towards your deposit and first months’ rent, plus visits to your new city to look for accommodation.
Salary 20,972 Application questions to complete To complete your application please provide a response to the below application questions, you can upload your response to the application questions as an attachment when submitting your application. This can be attached to your application as a PDF or Word document.
- Referring to the essential criteria listed on the job description, (which are all skills and experiences we deem important to thrive as a C4 apprentice), please use examples to demonstrate how you meet these (feel free to draw on academic, personal, and professional experiences). (500 words max)
- Can you share with us what representation and inclusion mean to you and why you think they’re important? (300 words max)
- Provide a link to a recent piece of content you have created that you are proud of (this can be on any topic, it doesn’t have to be TV related) (300 words max)
- Sum yourself up in an EPG-length synopsis (189 characters)
Benefits There are a million reasons why it’s great to work at Channel 4, here are just a few of the perks for you;
• 26 days annual leave (including a day off for your birthday)
• Company funded Private Medical Insurance
• A generous Group Personal Pension
• Access to our flexible benefits scheme including dental, travel insurance, health screenings and more! Applications Close Date 27 Feb 2023
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert