Precision Machining Apprenticeship (Level 3)
- Aldermaston, Reading
- Starting salary of £11,000. This increases annually with second year salary of £18,300.
- Closing date
- 27 Feb 2023
- Public Sector / Government, Technology
- Role Type
- Start Date
- 24 months+
Precision Machining Apprenticeship (Level 3 Advanced)
Precision machining is the manufacturing of components on various machines. During the first part of your training as a Precision Machining Apprentice you will learn basic machining and hand fitting skills through a series of supervised machining tasks, in which you will manufacture of a number of useful engineering tools.
You will attend a variety of lectures, through college day release, which will provide you with the knowledge and understanding of the tools and techniques that you will be using. It will also give you more information about the materials, manufacturing equipment and processes that you will be following throughout your career.
Whilst the majority of final roles are hands on craft engineering, a small number may be in the design and assurance roles for mechanical engineering.
Apprentices work on a variety of machines within the academy including:
- Centre lathes
- Vertical and horizontal milling machines
- Surface grinders
- Pillar drills
- Computer numerical controlled (CNC) lathes
In the second part of your training, you will undertake a series of machining tasks. These are designed to prepare and expose you to the full spectrum of our plant and facilities and the work that you will undertake within the organisation. Once on site, you will have the opportunity to complete more advanced machining tasks, involving more complex holding and machining work.
- A practical aptitude for engineering or technology
- PC literate
- Good communication skills
- Excellent team working skills
- Health and safety aware
- Effective at following instructions
- Ability to concentrate for long periods
- Passion and motivation for your chosen profession
Level 3 entry requirements:
Preferably GCSE in Maths and English at Grade 4/C or above (or equivalent)
Age: Applicants must be aged 16 or over, as of 1st of September 2023, due to security clearance requirements
If you currently hold a Level 3 Diploma in Engineering or similar, you should consider applying for a Degree level apprenticeship.
Duration of training: 3 - 4 years (varies depending on personal performance)
Location: You will be based at Aldermaston (close to Reading)
What we offer:
- We offer our apprentices a starting salary of £11,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £18,300
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas – if applicable.
We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, we close our applications.
Successful candidates must be available to start on the Apprenticeship Programme in September 2023.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert