Electrical Engineering Degree Apprenticeship - Renewables
- Sunderland, Tyne and Wear
- Closing date
- 7 Mar 2023
- Engineering & Aerospace
- Role Type
- Start Date
- 24 months+
A career that will deliver change. Together, we can help Britain achieve net zero.
Join our Electrical Engineering Degree Apprenticeship Programme and you can make an immediate impact, powering the nation today whilst helping to build a sustainable energy future.
The Electrical Engineering Degree Apprenticeship programme:
We’re recruiting for prospective Electrical Engineers looking for the next step in their career to join our EDF Renewables Electrical Engineering Degree Apprenticeship Programme.
At EDF Renewables, we’re big on developing people through their career. Over 3 years, you’ll learn from Senior Engineers and electrical activities exposure gaining valuable experience while studying part time for a BEng (Hons) Degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering Practice.
The degree has been developed to align with the requirements for Engineering Council Registration as Incorporated Engineer meaning that it will provide graduates with the technical and professional attributes needed to apply, manage, and maintain both current and emerging technologies with an understanding of the business context of Engineering. This scheme is a level 6 degree apprenticeship.
You’ll be part of a large Electrical Engineering team supporting all areas of the EDF Renewables UK business and all wind onshore & offshore, battery storage, PV and hydrogen renewable technologies cross the UK and Ireland.
Training, development and support for you:
Year one: Your first year will include an Induction to EDF Renewables UK and familiarisation with our projects, procedures and systems. Assigning of a mentor to guide you through the program. A development and vocational training plan including a 6-month rotation through the electrical engineering teams to gain experience of operations, development, and construction projects of all renewable technologies. Day release to The University of Sunderland to embark on the first year of your part time studies.
Year two: Will see you develop your skills in key focus areas gaining knowledge in different renewable technologies such as Wind, Battery Energy Storage Systems, Photo Voltaic Systems and Hydrogen Electrolysers. With the support and guidance of more Senior Electrical Engineers you will take an active role in projects with potential for site visits to oversee engineering activities while continuing your part time studies.
Year three: Will see you use the skills and experience developed to deliver your individual project and dissertation based on a real topic guided by your Mentor, Supporting Electrical Engineers and University which will bring value to yourself but also the wider business.
As well as all the support you need, you’ll also enjoy plenty of opportunities to get involved in meaningful and challenging work once your studies are underway. That doesn’t mean you’ll have too much on your plate. You’ll have to put a lot of work in to manage your studies and your day-to-day duties, but we can make sure we manage your workload accordingly.
Once you’ve successfully completed the programme, you’ll have an accredited Electrical Engineering degree, years of experience within EDF Renewables and a full time role as an Electrical Engineer in the Engineering team. That means you’ll be in the best possible position to continue your career with EDF Renewables UK. The future is yours for the taking!
Where you’ll work:
Based primarily at the EDF Renewables UK Sunderland office, there will also be a mix of remote working, work from other EDF Renewables UK Offices and work on-site gaining valuable practical project and operational experience. Your studies will be part time, on day release to the University of Sunderland
What you’ll need to apply:
- Applicants to this degree apprenticeship will have usually gained the equivalent of 112 UCAS tariff points in relevant subject areas. Applicants to this degree apprenticeship should have work experience in a relevant electrical, technical, renewable, or industrial background looking for the next step in their career. Ability to demonstrate enthusiasm for Electrical Engineering in the renewable energy industry and be willing to learn. You'll have the ability to work in a team and independently, as well as being able to balance the responsibilities of study and work Ideally, due to the remote locations of some of our sites, you should also hold or be willing to work towards gaining a penalty free valid UK driving license
What salary and benefits are we offering you?
- Starting salary of £19,500 with an annual company incentive bonus 25 days’ annual leave Flexible benefits package Wellbeing and support services
Why EDF Renewables UK & Ireland?
Our goal is to combat climate change – we’re passionate about creating a net zero future where clean energy powers our lives. Tackling climate change is what motivates us – it spurs us on to seek out and bring forward the right projects and to develop the most creative solutions for communities.
We’re already one of the UK and Ireland’s leading renewable energy companies, developing, building, operating and maintaining innovative wind, solar and battery storage projects. Working closely with our R&D division, we’re developing future innovations, including hydrogen technology. We’re also investing in decarbonising the UK’s transport sector and developing vital power infrastructure for charging electric vehicles.
At EDF Renewables everyone’s welcome. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone has a voice and where they can feel confident being themselves. We’ll value the difference you bring and give you opportunities to thrive and succeed.
We’re an equal opportunity and disability confident employer. If you meet the minimum criteria for a role, share with us if you have a disability and we’ll guarantee you an interview.
Join us. Together, we’ll help Britain achieve net zero.
At EDF we’re proud to be the only company in Britain already generating low carbon electricity from wind, nuclear and solar. A low carbon mix to power the nation, whatever the weather.
We’re working together to champion a low carbon lifestyle and collaborate widely in our search for innovations to achieve more.
From apprenticeships to scientists, engineers to analysts, our career opportunities are as diverse as our business. Many of our people move around our company as they progress their career within our six UK business areas:
- Customers: We’re proud to serve more than 5 million British residential and business customers, and our aim to be the best at solving customers’ needs. We offer innovative solutions such as smart meters, smart heating, electric cars and charging points, to make it easy for our customers save energy, save carbon and save money.
- Generation: To provide a secure energy supply for the future, the UK needs a diverse and balanced energy mix. Our existing eight nuclear power stations make an important contribution to this mix, as they reliably generate low-carbon electricity and offer the most affordable large-scale, low-carbon energy source currently available to the UK.
- Nuclear Development: As part of our commitment to help secure the UK’s energy future, we’re building a new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point C in Somerset, as well as jointly developing other new build proposals with our partners in the East of England: Sizewell C in Suffolk and Bradwell B in Essex.
- Renewables: EDF Renewables UK, a joint venture between EDF Energy and EDF Renouvelables, develops, builds, operates and maintains wind farms and other renewable technologies such as battery and solar throughout their lifetime.
- Corporate and Steering Functions: Legal, Supply Chain, HR, IT, Strategy and Corporate Affairs... Our corporate community is a vital part of who we are at EDF and how we’ll achieve our vision to help Britain achieve net zero.
- Training Programmes: Our range of training programmes offer something for everyone, regardless of where you are in your career. Find out more about our graduate scheme, apprenticeships, placements and PhDs on our website.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including a competitive pension scheme, a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle, and the opportunity to earn bonus.
At EDF, everyone’s welcome. It’s a powerful statement of our intent to make sure we’re about the people who work with us – a rich and unique mix of backgrounds and experiences that’s vital to shaping a strong and fresh-thinking organisation like ours. Whoever you are and wherever you come from, we’ll embrace the difference you bring and give you opportunities to thrive and succeed.
A career that will deliver change. Together, we’ll help Britain achieve net zero.
90 Whitfield St
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert