2017 Apprentice Software Engineer (Defence Business) - Degree Level
4 days left
Level 6 Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship - Software Apprentice
Are you looking for an employer who will sponsor you through a degree, whilst providing valuable and exciting on-the-job experience within a global, innovative and industry leading organisation?
What we offer
- A competitive starting salary
- Certificate of Higher Education (Digital and Technology Solutions)
- Diploma of Higher Education (Digital and Technology Solutions)
- BSc Hons in Digital and Technology Solutions
What you'll be doing
Through our degree apprenticeship you'll be making the most of your talents, getting to understand engineering from the ground up; and doing so with the help of one of the biggest and best names in the industry.
As a software apprentice you will be studying towards a BSc in Digital and Technology Solutions, following the Software Engineering Pathway. For the duration of this 4 year programme you will be given one day per week in which to attend Manchester Metropolitan University. For the other 4 days you will be working in the business, applying your university learning and gaining a breadth of experience across the engineering function. At the end of the apprenticeship you be working as a software engineer within the Thales UK businesses.
This opportunity is within the defence business within Cheadle.
Who we're looking for:
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who are motivated, committed and keen to learn. A self-starter who is able to manage their time, show initiative and has a genuine interest in engineering and Thales. Whilst you will be fully supported to undertake and complete your university studies, this programme does require a personal commitment of study in your own time. Successful candidates will show self-discipline and an aspiration to achieve a degree qualification.
You will be a key member of the Software Development team based at the Thales site in Manchester, with the opportunity to collaborate with Thales sites across the UK.
• Part of a team of software developers working on various projects within either the transportation or defence business
• Supporting the design, development and integration of complex systems from supplied specifications, using agreed standards and tools
• Participate in reviews of supplied specifications, with others as appropriate
• Contribute to software development by delivering elements of software projects on time and to the standards expected by the team/function
You will also need:
- 120+ UCAS points including A Levels in Maths and a relevant discipline, or
- Completion of a Level-3 apprenticeship/professional qualification in a relevant discipline
- Right to Work in the UK for the duration of the 4 year programme.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.Requirements and prospects Desired skills
We are looking for a self-starter who is able to manage their time, show initiative and has a genuine interest in engineering and Thales.Personal qualities
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who are motivated, committed and keen to learn. Whilst you will be fully supported to undertake and complete your university studies, this programme does require a personal commitment of study in your own time. Successful candidates will show self-discipline and an aspiration to achieve a degree qualification.Qualifications required
120+ UCAS points including A Levels in Maths and a relevant discipline, or
Completion of a Level-3 apprenticeship/professional qualification in a relevant disciplineFuture prospects The Degree Apprenticeship is a great foundation for any career in a business or technical field. Although the exact nature of your learning experience will depend on which employer you choose to apply to, the key skills you'll learn are suited to those looking to begin or develop a career as a software engineer.