Trainee Lab Technician Apprenticeship
- BD4 7EB, Bradford
- 9,279.00 per year
- Closing date
- 20 Apr 2023
- Education & Training
- Healthcare, Pharmaceuticals & Science
- Role Type
- Start Date
- 12-18 months
Bronte Girls Academy
To contribute to the development of a school that is transforming the educational standards and character enhancement of our young people with an emphasis on creating a culture that inspires personal growth, development and performance driven outcomes.
Your role will be to support the Science Department to facilitate excellent teaching and learning. To ensure a safe and clean working environment. To manage the equipment and resources used in lessons.
- Ensure that rooms are prepared prior to lessons with appropriate resources, apparatus, materials and equipment
- Ensure safe working practices and that all equipment is used in accordance with instructions and health and safety, and that protective clothing is used where appropriate
- Set up and care for animal and plant collections
- Oversee the management of health and safety checks of all, equipment, tools and workspaces and ensure repairs and services are organised as required
- Ensure tools and equipment are stored securely after use
- Ensure all unused material is returned to the appropriate storage area and washed as appropriate
- Preparing standard solutions, purifying chemicals and treat waste as appropriate
- Ensure the Science classrooms and prep rooms are kept secure, clean, tidy and free from all hazards
- Store chemicals according to their requirements
- Be aware of substances hazardous to health (COSHH)
- Carry out daily visual checks of Science equipment and resources, before being used by students
- Under the direction of the Head of Science, order materials and tools on behalf of the subject leader via normal school’s procedure, ensure best value, liaise with suppliers, check deliveries and invoices
- Audit stock, organise and store safely all equipment, chemicals and resources in accordance with recognised procedures, maintain records, and arrange correct disposal as appropriate
- Contribute to the completion and review of Risk Assessments and provide the Site Liaison Officer with copies
- Maintain an inventory of equipment
- Provide technical and health and safety advice to staff and students as required.
- Maintain a filing system of all relevant information regarding equipment and their uses
- Administer first aid to students.
- Establish good working relationships with students and provide specific support dependent upon individual needs under the direction of the teacher.
- Promote self-esteem, independence and inclusion of all students and encourage them to engage in all activities.
- Promote good behaviour, deal with conflict and incidents in accordance with Academy policies.
- Be proactive in challenging poor behaviour during lesson and at break and lunchtime in line with the academy behaviour policy.
- Attend relevant courses and any other training deemed reasonable within the requirements of this post.
- Support and promote the Academy ethos and contribute to the overall aims of the Academy.
- Be aware of, and comply with, the School’s policies and procedures and Staff Code of Conduct.
- Contribute to organising Academy events as required.
- Keep abreast of developments and changes in fields relevant to the role, and communicate these to staff as required.
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings as required.
- Participate in appraisal, training and professional development as required.
Term times only - Fixed term for duration of apprenticeship but may lead to permanent position.
Salary - £175 p/week
Working Pattern - 8:00am - 16:00pm (Mon - Thurs) & 8:00am - 15:30pm (Friday)
Length of apprenticeship: 15 months
This role will include studying on the job for the gold standard Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship, which will qualify you in this role and give you eligibility to Registered Science Technician (R.Sci.Tech.) status and the opportunity to progress to L5 Science Technician standard. You’ll be earning as you learn.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert