Environment and Science Graduate Training Scheme
- Environment Agency
- £26,575 -£31,000
- Closing date
- 12 Apr 2023
- Business / Management
- Energy & Utilities
- Role Type
- Graduate, Other work and training
- Start Date
- 6-12 months
Theme: Environmental Planning, Flood Management, Community Engagement and Partnerships
Salary: £26,575 -£31,000
- Thames area: GU10 4LH - Goldcrest House, Farnham; RG1 8DQ - Kingsmeadow House, Reading; OX10 8BD - Red Kite House, Wallingford; OX2 OAZ - Osney Depot, Oxford Solent and South Downs area: SO51 8DU – Romsey Office; BN11 1LD – Worthing Office; PO20 6BH – Oving Road Office, Chichester Yorkshire area: LS11 9AT – Lateral House, Leeds Northeast area: NE4 7AR – Tyneside House, Newcastle
Post type: 37 Hours per week (Part time considered)
Interviews dates: 19 June – 23 July
Positions available: 10
About the scheme
At the Environment Agency (EA), we protect and enhance the environment as a whole and promote sustainable development. Join us to kickstart your career in the environment sector and be part of our mission to create better places to live and work for people and wildlife.
On our four-year Environment and Science Graduate Training Scheme (ES-GTS), you will be welcomed into one of a diverse range of permanent environmental and science-based roles across the EA. When you join us on the Scheme you will start your environment and science career by:
- Focusing on your professional development with our blended learning approach including training, mentoring, on-the-job experience, and development opportunities to work in various roles within the organisation. Contributing to a range of exciting projects and initiatives. Working towards chartership with the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) and/or other relevant professional institutions.
Your role with us in Environmental Planning, Flood Management, Community Engagement and Partnerships
Immerse yourself in a dynamic team dedicated to environmental protection and play your part towards protecting the water environment. As part of your role, you'll have the chance to take on a range of tasks and responsibilities:
- Contributing to our extensive programme of activity and projects to manage the risk of flooding and coastal erosion in England and helping to deliver our Water Strategy. Playing a central role in managing and mitigating the impacts of climate change. Providing support to colleagues in a range of important tasks including; planning and delivering new water management schemes or flood risk management schemes. Working with communities to increase their resilience to flooding, managing and operating our Flood Warning service, as well as influencing local planning applications and development projects. Working independently and as part of team, building local relationships with internal and external customers, stakeholders, and partners. Working alongside specialists with a focus on river basin management planning, Water Company investment programmes and drought management. Developing & assessing options to implement improvements and applying flood risk information from hydraulic models to determine appropriate and innovative solutions for communities. Working alongside technical experts and experienced staff to deliver Natural Flood Management solutions with multiple environmental and social benefits. Utilising a wide range of data, systems, models and techniques to help inform and shape our investment programmes in managing flood and coastal erosion.
You will be joining a team on the frontline of tackling the climate emergency.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for individuals who have passion and drive to be part of tackling the climate emergency. We need individuals who want to learn, progress, and develop into professional water and environmental scientists.
A successful application will include clear statements about YOU and why you want to make a tangible difference to improve and protect the environment in England. Do reference these five key competencies in your application.
- Motivation to work in the Environment sector. Why you are interested and motivated to join this graduate training scheme and work in the environment sector? How do your goals and values align with the Environment Agency?
- Achieves Results. Effectively organises work to meet high standards and achieve personal and team goals, adapts plans to get desired outcomes at pace. Demonstrates resilience and commitment to get things done.
- Communicates Effectively. Actively listens and seeks to understand perspectives of others, considers impact on audience when speaking, writing, and presenting
- Uses Initiative. Uses initiative to ensure tasks are done efficiently and proactively finds ways to make greater contribution. Takes personal responsibility to achieve goals
- Works in Teams. Builds positive relationships within/between teams, ensures active involvement and engagement, and participates fully in team activities and helps resolve conflict/tension.
- Bachelor’s degree (e.g., BSc or BA) in environmental science or equivalent science-based subjects expected to be received before 24 July 2023. Any job offers made will be subject to achieving and giving evidence of the entry requirements noted here.
- Expected or achieved award grade of Upper Second Class (2:1) honours. Relevant experience gained through work and voluntary experience, internships, year-in-industry placements or similar.
Those applying must be able to prove right to work in the UK and have this in place before making an application. You should also be aware of and be able to meet the requirements set out in standard Environmental Agency employment terms and conditions. You can find more information on our Working for EA pages.
Please note that not all roles are available in all locations.
Working at the Environment Agency
Our workforce is our greatest asset, and we understand that everyone is different. Be part of a diverse and inclusive organisation which takes pride in welcoming applicants from all sections of the community. We want to help you grow and thrive! That’s why we offer training, career opportunities, support for professional development, and actively look out for your wellbeing. Download the Candidate Information Pack now to learn more about our impressive range of employee benefits - such as a great salary starting at £26,575, flexible hybrid working, and 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
We’d love to hear from you. Click ‘apply’ and start your application today!
We are the Environment Agency.
We protect and improve the environment. Acting to reduce the impacts of a changing climate on people and wildlife is at the heart of everything we do. We reduce the risks to people, properties and businesses from flooding and coastal erosion. We protect and improve the quality of water, making sure there is enough for people, businesses, agriculture and the environment.
We work with government, local councils, businesses, civil society groups and communities to make our environment a better place for people and wildlife.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert