Environment and Science Graduate Training Scheme
- Environment Agency
- £26,575 -£31,000
- Closing date
- 12 Apr 2023
- Business / Management
- Energy & Utilities
- Role Type
- Graduate, Other work and training
- Start Date
- 6-12 months
Theme: Programme, Project, Contract Management and Innovation
Salary: £26,575 -£31,000
- Thames area: RG1 8DQ - Kingsmeadow House, Reading; Central London (Marsham Street) Kent and South London area: ME19 5SH – Orchard House, Addington Solent and South Downs Area: SO51 8DU – Romsey Office; BN11 1LD – Worthing Office Hertfordshire and North London area: AL7 1HE – Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire area: PE2 5ZR – Kingfisher House, Peterborough National
Post type: 37 Hours per week (Part time considered)
Interviews dates: 19 June – 23 July
Positions available: 5
About the scheme
At the Environment Agency (EA), we protect and enhance the environment as a whole and promote sustainable development. Join us to kickstart your career in the environment sector and be part of our mission to create better places to live and work for people and wildlife.
On our four-year Environment and Science Graduate Training Scheme (ES-GTS), you will be welcomed into one of a diverse range of permanent environmental and science-based roles across the EA. When you join us on the Scheme you will start your environment and science career by:
- Focusing on your professional development with our blended learning approach including training, mentoring, on-the-job experience, and development opportunities to work in various roles within the organisation. Contributing to a range of exciting projects and initiatives. Working towards chartership with the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) and/or other relevant professional institutions.
Your role with us in Programme, Project, Contract Management and Innovation
Immerse yourself in a dynamic team dedicated to environmental protection and play your part towards protecting the water environment. As part of your role, you'll have the chance to take on a range of tasks and responsibilities:
- Supporting the extensive work across our Programme and Contract Management services, delivering high profile and large-scale projects within our flood risk management portfolio. Working within or alongside project managers, technical specialists, and colleagues in estates, legal, commercial and procurement, framework and contract management, as well as with communication and engagement specialists to collectively progress and deliver significant flood and environmental investment projects. Utilising the latest project management tools to set up projects, reporting procedures, assurance and approval processes that play a vital contribution to keeping our delivery programmes on track, and projects run smoothly. Contributing to our extensive work with partner organisations to better understand the nature of flood risk affecting communities, contributing to innovative solutions that deliver sustainable development and reduce our carbon footprint. Getting involved in a wide range of operational projects with opportunities to be involved in reducing flood risk through both traditional and nature-based solutions. Helping to identify, track and monitor our progress against the UN Sustainable Development Goals, thorough the gathering of evidence, information and reporting.
You will be joining a team on the frontline of tackling the climate emergency.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for individuals who have passion and drive to be part of tackling the climate emergency. We need individuals who want to learn, progress, and develop into professional water and environmental scientists.
A successful application will include clear statements about YOU and why you want to make a tangible difference to improve and protect the environment in England. Do reference these five key competencies in your application.
- Motivation to work in the Environment sector. Why you are interested and motivated to join this graduate training scheme and work in the environment sector? How do your goals and values align with the Environment Agency?
- Achieves Results. Effectively organises work to meet high standards and achieve personal and team goals, adapts plans to get desired outcomes at pace. Demonstrates resilience and commitment to get things done.
- Communicates Effectively. Actively listens and seeks to understand perspectives of others, considers impact on audience when speaking, writing, and presenting
- Uses Initiative. Uses initiative to ensure tasks are done efficiently and proactively finds ways to make greater contribution. Takes personal responsibility to achieve goals
- Works in Teams. Builds positive relationships within/between teams, ensures active involvement and engagement, and participates fully in team activities and helps resolve conflict/tension.
- Bachelor’s degree (e.g., BSc or BA) in environmental science or equivalent science-based subjects expected to be received before 24 July 2023. Any job offers made will be subject to achieving and giving evidence of the entry requirements noted here.
- Expected or achieved award grade of Upper Second Class (2:1) honours. Relevant experience gained through work and voluntary experience, internships, year-in-industry placements or similar.
Those applying must be able to prove right to work in the UK and have this in place before making an application. You should also be aware of and be able to meet the requirements set out in standard Environmental Agency employment terms and conditions. You can find more information on our Working for EA pages.
Please note that not all roles are available in all locations.
Working at the Environment Agency
Our workforce is our greatest asset, and we understand that everyone is different. Be part of a diverse and inclusive organisation which takes pride in welcoming applicants from all sections of the community. We want to help you grow and thrive! That’s why we offer training, career opportunities, support for professional development, and actively look out for your wellbeing. Download the Candidate Information Pack now to learn more about our impressive range of employee benefits - such as a great salary starting at £26,575, flexible hybrid working, and 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
We’d love to hear from you. Click ‘apply’ and start your application today!
We are the Environment Agency.
We protect and improve the environment. Acting to reduce the impacts of a changing climate on people and wildlife is at the heart of everything we do. We reduce the risks to people, properties and businesses from flooding and coastal erosion. We protect and improve the quality of water, making sure there is enough for people, businesses, agriculture and the environment.
We work with government, local councils, businesses, civil society groups and communities to make our environment a better place for people and wildlife.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert