What will the apprentice be doing?
· Embrace the latest infrastructure technologies to improve sustainability and resilience. Sustainable design is top of our corporate agenda.
· Use building information modelling software to design engineering services on projects learning from colleagues and in-house training. Most of projects are now designed within Civils3D.
· Undertake preliminary and detailed design and calculations (using both software and knowledge to verify robust calculations) of the core infrastructure systems, to ultimately achieve at the end of your apprenticeship, the confidence to undertake designs under the supervision of a Senior Engineer.
· Ensure service and project work are carried out to an excellent standard - within agreed deadlines and within budget.
· Prepare technical specifications and schedules, design development reports and innovative design solutions.
· Plan and manage input to Computer Aided Design programmes for production of design work.
· Assist in the management of projects complying with Buro Happold project management procedures.
· Represent the company as part of a team attending design team meetings or meetings with client and other professionals.
We are proud to be working on Canning Town Regeneration Project and would particularly encourage candidates whom currently live in Newham.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Degree Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering which includes the completion of a BEng (Hons) and the achievement of an IEng via ICE.
You will attend university on a day release basis, working 4 days per week (term time only).
You will undertake learning within the workplace to demonstrate the achievement of the KSB's to successfully complete the End Point Assessment (EPA).
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
We would expect candidates to become integral member of the team with future prospects to continue with education to become Chartered Engineers.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Number skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative
GCSE or equivalent English and Maths (Grade 4-9) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths, Physics/Chemistry desirable (Grade BBC) Essential
BTEC or equivalent Civil Engineering (Grade DDM) Essential