Our Engineers focus on the assets that form the foundation of our transport system. Our asset stock is hugely varied, and includes thousands of bridges, hundreds of kilometres of roads and tunnels, hundreds of embankments and cuttings and a vast network of drainage. These assets are the essential foundation of the transport system that keeps the city moving, working and growing. Our civil engineers are also at the forefront of major transport system upgrades, including HS2, Crossrail 2 and the Bakerloo Line Extension.
The role of a Civil Engineering Apprentice is critical in supporting works to ensure the ongoing reliability and safety of London’s world class transport infrastructure.
What will I be doing?
As an apprentice, your 5.5 – 6 year development programme will consist of 3 to 6 month placement rotations. Our aim is to equip you with the range of skills and experience you need for your successful career. We also understand that everyone’s career is different, so every apprentice’s journey is unique. Here’s an idea of what yours could look like:
Placement 1 - Sponsorship - 6 months:
- Preparing project briefs and securing funding for projects
- Prioritising project work banks
- Undertaking financial impact assessments and equality impact assessments
Placement 2 - Project Management - 6 months:
- Assisting with the Project Manager to deliver a range of projects
- Understanding the commercial frameworks of the contract
- Managing internal and external stakeholders to ensure projects are delivered to time and budget
Placement 1 – Sustainability & Environmental Team - 6 months:
- Assisting teams to improve on their sustainability and environmental impacts
- Working with internal and external stakeholders to align with the Mayor’s Transport Strategy
Placement 2 - Civil Asset Operations (Maintenance Team) - 6 months:
- Preparing project briefs and supervising contractors on essential civil maintenance works
- Inspection of bridges and structures, earth structures and pumps & drainage assets
Apprentices have the option to undertake technical placements in the following teams to align with their interests:
- Earth Structures
- Pumps & Drainage
- Railway Structures
- Highway Structure
These placements are likely to be undertaken after year 2 to align with the technical modules that would be taught at university.