Duration of Apprenticeship:
18 months fixed term contract
About the M&G Alternatives ODD Team
The team are responsible for undertaking operational due diligence on Fund investments going into M&G Alternatives portfolios and mandates in addition to ongoing monitoring of existing investments.
As an Research Apprentice, you will support the ODD Team through hands on training and you will become an integral part of our team. You will be fully trained and supported throughout your apprenticeship on how to undertake research whilst also developing your knowledge of the business and alternatives industry.
You will learn how to assess non-investment related risks, review audited financial statements, undertake ongoing due diligence, help with process related projects and assist in writing reports for internal audience.
Your day to day tasks will include:
- Collating fee information/data paid by Funds
- Inputting data from financial statements into a working spreadsheet
- Assisting with identifying financial statements trends or findings
- Assisting with ODD/financial statement presentations
- Uploading documents to/from third party portal
- Downloading documents from data rooms into internal directories.
- Helping in taking meeting notes from calls.
- Documenting requests in third party due diligence system (compile list of investments, contacts, locations, etc)
- Assisting with updating list of investments that are due for an ongoing review (incl. due dates).
- Assisting in first stage research of an investment by undertaking desk based research using documents received from the manager
- Assisting with background screening check process on potential deal counterparties
- Reviewing previous investment reviews to summarise and consolidate risk themes/categories
- Assisting with reference calls process on fund administrators
- Setting up google alerts for news alerts/ background checks on Investment manager
As an Investment Operations Specialist with BPP, you will undertake the Level 4 Investment Operations Specialist Apprenticeship. The apprenticeship will be delivered through a blend of live online learning, pre-recorded lectures, and face to face inductions and masterclasses
As a minimum, candidate will have either 5 GCSEs or 2 A levels with good grades in Maths and English 4+. Alternatively, you will have 2 years of work experience in financial services industry.
Personal Qualities & Skills:
We are looking for a confident individual with a positive outlook, can-do attitude and aspiration to want to progress.
The successful applicant will have strong desire to learn and a genuine interest in business and the financial services industry.
Applicants who succeed with us are self-motivated, good at managing varying workload, capable of building and maintaining relationships and work effectively as part of a team.
The applicant would ideally have an inquisitive nature and be curious.
- Confident communication skills, both written and verbal with the whole team and stakeholders both internal and external.
- High level of attention to detail and challenge an approach.
- Structured approach to work and very well organised. Works well off of checklists & time blocking/time management.
- Ability to prioritise and meet deadlines. Can effectively manage day to day work, alongside apprenticeship qualification.
- Moderate understanding of the MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- A proactive team player who is confident about working with others but also independently and can promptly escalate any issue and work remotely where required.
- Logical and analytical approach coupled with intelligence, passion and a drive to learn.
- Ability to formulate own opinions by thinking analytically about problems, thinking “outside the box” to resolve issues where required.
This is a fixed term contract for 18 months upon which the business may decide to retain, subject to the Apprentice performance, headcount and available funding. If recruited into a permanent role, the individual will follow the career progression applicable to the specific role/department.