Accounting Apprenticeship Programme 2023
- Legal & General
- Cardiff, Cardiff (Caerdydd)
- Closing date
- 7 Apr 2023
- Accounting, Banking & Financial Services
- Role Type
- Start Date
Your role at a glance
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to earn while you learn?
The L&G Apprentice programme has been designed to help you reach your potential. You will develop your skill set, gain valuable work experience and complete a fully funded professional qualification, all whilst earning a competitive salary with access to outstanding employee benefits.
With support every step of the way and access to core skills training, you will contribute to the success of a team and be supported by a dedicated line manager. As part of a cohort of apprentices, you will also have the opportunity to connect with your peers and colleagues though networking opportunities and social events.
Joining L&G is the beginning to a future that will be anything but familiar. So take a closer look, get involved, be curious and find out how we will enable you to be at your best no matter who you are.
The start date for the programme will be September 2023.
What you'll be doing
The Finance & Accounting Operations department is a shared service finance function providing a range of services across Legal & General including:
- Accounting Operations - a specialist function with expertise in product accounting, policyholder tax and investment box management
- Accounts Payable - provides control and governance for all accounts payable related activity, processing, approval and payment of staff expense claims and supplier invoices
- Cost Operations – a specialist function with expertise of the expense ledger (covering source system feeds into the general ledger – expenses, fixed assets, VAT accounting, chart of accounts, period close and management of the month end closes) and expense allocations processes.
- Tax Operations - team provides Group Tax with operational support to assist in the completion of various tax computations, covering Indirect, Employment, Corporation and Funds tax.
Join us on a 2.5 year programme which includes sponsorship to study for an industry recognised Professional Qualification, whilst building your business acumen.
You’ll receive on the job training and coaching from your line manager. Alongside this you’ll complete a Level 2 Accounting-AAT apprenticeship course and then progress to a Level 3 Accounting-AAT completing training workshops and assignments, delivered by a leading apprenticeship training provider. Combined, these will fully equip you to be successful in your role, with the knowledge and skills required to apply to real world business challenges.
During your apprenticeship you will:
- Process transactions and load data for reconciliations
- Run matching processes and identify items which should match
- Prepare reconciliations between bank and admin systems
- Learn how to understand double entry accounting and prepare month end journals
- Post journals to the general ledger and review results
- Analyse and report on variances
- Learn how to prepare reports using supporting data for internal stakeholders
- Review fixed asset and depreciation schedules
- Run and review expense allocation processes
- Support the preparation of tax information and returns
- Build your analytical skills
- Develop methodical skills such as problem solving and time management
- Have guidance from your team and manager who will support you and teach you the day-to-day role
- Apply the knowledge and skills that you’ve learnt from your training into the role
- Have the opportunity to meet and network with new colleagues within your team, but also across the wider organisation which is a great opportunity to develop your collaboration and listening skills
What we're looking for
The person who would most benefit and enjoy this programme is hungry to learn and eager to get started in the world of work. We’re not expecting prior industry experience, but we’ll want to see that you have the aptitude, potential and desire which will ultimately lead to you being successful. We’ll teach you the rest!
To qualify for the programme, you will need:
- 5 x GCSE’s at grade 4-9 (A-C) or above (or equivalent) including Maths and English
- Minimum 96 UCAS points from your Level 3 Qualifications e.g. A 'levels or equivalent
- To not currently be on a government funded training course, e.g. on apprenticeship
- To not have a degree as this is a career starter programme
- The right to work in the UK and have lived in the UK or EEA for the past 3 consecutive years.
- To have an awareness and interest in finance and business
- Have a natural curiosity for understanding and challenging yourself
Bringing out the best in you
We believe that good businesses are built on doing the right thing and strive to do what is best for both our people and our customers. This means enabling you to bring your best self to work by giving you what you need, when you need it.
This is why we’ve designed a process that puts you in control, because we recognise that your time is valuable. At each step, make sure you take time to pause and reflect before progressing to the next, as each subsequent step will ask for a bit more of your time.
We want you to feel comfortable that this process is as fair and inclusive as possible, so please let us know if you have an illness or disability that you think may affect your performance during the process, so that reasonable adjustments can be made.
At each step we’ll give more information and clear instructions on what actions you need to take and how you can prepare. You’ll be assessed at each of these steps.
In brief, our assessment stages process will include:
- CV Application:
This will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic requirements for the role, we do not require work experience for entry level roles and understand that CVs may not have huge amounts of detail at this stage of your career
- Video Interview:
This will take approximately 20minutes, we will ask some questions that will help us understand your motivation for L&G and the Apprenticeship we are offering
- Assessment Centre:
Comprised of a competency-based interview, group activity and an individual work based activity
- Provisional Offer subject to enrolment:
If you are successful in the assessment centre, you'll receive a provisional job offer, the final step will be for you to enrol on the training course. Once this is complete, we can officially offer you the job!
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert