What will the apprentice be doing?
- Key duties vary according to the specific team you are assigned to
Typical responsibilities would include:
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Developing software to manipulate complex datasets
- Developing scientific software applications and tools to help advance our weather and climate prediction capabilities
- Providing support to scientific programmers and application developers
- Learn about development from requirements through to delivery
Why choose our Software Engineer Level 4 apprenticeship?
Our Software Engineer Level 4 Apprenticeship gives learners advance skills and technical grounding to design, test and maintain software and web systems. Learners will also gain an understanding on advanced programming, systems and software development projects. Software Development is at the heart of digital transformation. With demand for services to be consumed online by both clients and employees increasing exponentially, software developers are in high demand. Software Engineers build and test high-quality code across front end, logic and database layers.
QA's Software Engineer Level 4 apprenticeship programme enables the apprentice to:
- Build advanced skills and technical grounding to design, test and maintain software and web systems.
- Receive training on end-to-end software dev stack, as opposed to hyper-focusing on one area of development.
- Develop more advanced applications.
- Assigned mentor to offer support
- Registered training provider
- September start
Whilst this temporary apprentice post is for up to 19 months, there is the potential for it to develop into a permanent position on successful completion of your apprenticeship.
This may be as a Technology Junior Developer or Foundation Scientific Software Engineer.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Administrative skills, Number skills, Team working, Non judgemental, Has used:, Python programming language Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent English and Maths (Grade 4/C) Essential
A Level or equivalent 2 x Any subject (Grade Pass or above) Essential Things to consider
Hybrid working: 1 day per week in our Exeter HQ. - The initial 10 weeks of this Apprenticeship will be full time learning. After this, there will be weekly time off the job for application of learning.