What will the apprentice be doing?
Can you imagine contributing to the design, construction and maintenance of everything around us? Well, as a civil engineering technician you'll be doing just that. You'll be getting involved in the design, analysis, delivery and overall engineering of many important projects, providing long lasting solutions for everyone involved.
Using programmes such as computer aided design and building information management, you'll learn engineering principles and technics to help design and deliver infrastructure and buildings. If you have a broad skills base then this is certainly the scheme for you!
Key duties will include:
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Planning and undertaking on-site inspections and Structural condition surveys during the stages of a project
- Desk study reviews of available data in support of any remedial, maintenance or asset monitoring works
- Support of the Assessment, checks, design, and analyses of a range of civil and structural assets
- Support of the team carrying out advanced and dynamic analysis for a variety of structures
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Civil Engineer (degree) Apprenticeship Standard
- You will attend university one day a week
- You will have the full support of your wider team, as well as a line manager, mentor and buddy, and a dedicated learning & development team
- You will receive a BSc(Hons) in Civil Engineering and receive industry certificates in Site Safety Plus, Site Managers' Safety Training Scheme and Site Environmental Awareness Training Scheme
- This apprenticeship will include the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to achieve Incorporated Engineer status with the Institution of Civil Engineers and lead to the designatory letters IEng MICE. The professional review process for IEng MICE is included in the final assessment process
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 7 / B or equivilant) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths (Grade A*-C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Science (Grade A*-C) Essential