What will the apprentice be doing?
Working as an Apprentice Construction Manager at J Murphy & Sons you will learn how to be responsible for the daily control, management, and coordination of construction activities on site to ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget and to the required safety, environmental and quality standards.
Your responsibilities will increase throughout the duration of the apprenticeship programme as your skills and technical knowledge develop. You will be supported throughout by your assigned workplace mentor, in conjunction with your university apprenticeship tutor, to ensure you gain the right mix of skills and experience to successfully complete your apprenticeship.
Key responsibilities will include:
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Working alongside our project engineers and construction managers to learn how to develop construction strategies and sequences.
- Analysing sketches and drawings to clarify construction sequences.
- Learning how to undertake concept design and site inspections of temporary works.
- Assisting in providing design and remedial solutions.
- Learning how to review and prepare risk assessments and method statements.
- Establishing and maintaining secondary dimensional control.
- Developing knowledge of as-built surveys.
- Monitoring subcontractors to ensure compliance with method statements and inspection test plans.
- Assisting with quality control checks.
- Assisting package and construction managers with quality issues arising on site.
On this programme you will be completing the Chartered Surveyor degree apprenticeship, following the construction project management pathway. The degree is delivered by our partner the University College of Estate Management. At the end of the apprenticeship, you will gain a BSc Construction Management degree.
Learning is via on-line live classroom with 24/7 tutor support.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Upon completion of this apprenticeship, you can expect to develop a career in site management with all of the support that you need to grow and develop with our company.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent GCSE's including Maths and English (Grade A*-C/4-9) Essential
Other Full UK Driving Licence (Grade Pass) Essential
Other Level 4 in Construction or Civil Engineering (Grade Pass) Essential Things to consider
This apprenticeship involves working at various sites. You must be prepared to work away from home when required.