What will the apprentice be doing?
Do you have your eye on the future and want to make a difference? Do you have an interest in sound, science, buildings, or engineering? This could be the career opportunity you have been searching for. No experience necessary. Just a passion and willingness to learn and be part of our dynamic team.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Planning and undertaking measurement surveys, analysing the data and preparing survey reports
- Creating acoustic prediction models using specialist software
- Solving problems
- Undertaking calculations
- Writing reports
- Attending design team/client meetings
As well as enrolling on the Acoustic Technician Apprenticeship Scheme (Level 4) the successful candidate will join AECOM ADVANCE - a training programme which all our new graduates and apprentices participate in.
Our UK team are members of the Association of Noise Consultants and Sponsor of the Institute of Acoustics.
Globally AECOM has one of the largest acoustics practices in the world with offices across Europe, Australia, America, Canada, the Middle East, and East Asia.What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The apprenticeship would befull timeand the course duration expected to be minimum 18 months. The Apprenticeship comprises at least 20% formal learning. Travel expenses incurred with travelling for lectures and lab work for the purposes of the course will be covered by AECOM.
You would be supported by a dedicated mentor to oversee on-the-job training.
The education provider for this course would be London South Bank University (LSBU). The course would comprise mini block release for some lectures and practical lab sessions aiming for achievement of a Level 4 qualification as an Acoustic Technician.
No work experience is necessary. This position is ideally suited to those who can demonstrate the following:
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade 'C/4' or above, including Mathematics & English
Additionally, applicants must possess one the following:
- 3 'A' levels at grade C (or equivalent) and above with two being in Maths and a Science
- Access level 3 qualification worth 48 UCAS points (must include maths) possibly in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering or Design or a 'level 3' Technician Apprenticeship
BTEC National Diploma (MPP)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Show an aptitude towards software-based engineering and drawing e.g., Computer Aided Design (CAD) and/or similar 3D software
- Demonstrate an interest and a desire to pursue a career in Acoustics
- Commitment to continued education and improvement through on-the-job learning and training opportunities
- Be creative, practical, adaptable, and enthusiastic
- Have the ability to demonstrate attention to detail
- Demonstrate they can think in a methodical way to design, plan and organise parts of projects
- Be English language proficient, holding excellent communication skills to present information in speech, drawings, and reports
Within a structured programme of professional development, we will give you a wide range of technical training and day-to-day support to allow you to develop skills and take on increased responsibility across a broad variety of project types and sizes.
You will join our team of over 40 acousticians undertaking noise and vibration surveys for a variety of developments including world class music and entertainment venues, educational establishments, hospitals and transport schemes.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Non judgemental, Self Motivated Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent Maths & English - minimum of 5 GCSE's (Grade C/4 or above) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths and Science (Grade C (or equivalent)) Essential
BTEC or equivalent Maths National Diploma (Grade MPP) Essential
NVQ or SVQ Level 3 or equivalent Access level 3 qualification (Grade Worth 48 UCAS point) Essential Things to consider
Work experience/shadowing in an engineering environment would be an advantage as would an aptitude towards software-based engineering and drawing e.g., Computer Aided Design (CAD) and/or similar 3D software.