What will the apprentice be doing?
The main purpose of the job is to assist the planning team fulfil its statutory planning function including the development management function and mineral and waste Plan making. The role may also involve working with Devon's Local Planning Authorities in relation to infrastructure and Masterplanning work.
Main duties and responsibilities:
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Assist in the processing of planning applications with the support from more senior members of the team including publicising planning applications (putting up planning notices, travel involved)
- Preparation of advice for pre application enquiries with support from more senior members of the team
- Drafting of Committee reports
- Assist in the development of planning policy documents, e.g. the Devon Minerals and Waste Plans, including assistance with public consultation processes, document preparation and the organisation / documentation of meetings and discussions
- Drafting responses on behalf of the County Council to consultations relating to policy documents prepared by other authorities within Devon
- Assisting in the identification of future infrastructure needs for which the County Council has responsibility - including liaison as necessary with other service providers with DCC
- Contribute to evidence base work and monitoring through research and data analysis tasks
We will support you to grow and develop as a Planner, including gaining a Masters Degree in Planning (Level 7 Chartered Town Planner Apprenticeship Standard) and working towards becoming a Chartered Member of the Royal Town Planning Institute. Our career grade scheme, which you'll be on from when you join, allows you to progress all the way through to a Senior Planner as you gain experience.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
This role is a permanent positition. We will support you to grow and develop as a Planner, including gaining a Masters Degree in Planning and working towards becoming a Chartered Member of the Royal Town Planning Institute. Our career grade scheme, which you'll be on from when you join, allows you to progress all the way through to a Senior Planner as you gain experience.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Team working, Initiative, Previous Work Experience, Report Writing Skills, Adaptable, Degree in related subject Qualifications
Other Subject related to Planning (Grade Degree) Essential Things to consider
At Devon County Council we work together to make Devon 'the best place'. We are an ambitious authority and are looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Graduate Planner that shares that vision and wants to make a difference for everyone within Devon. Full information about the role can be found by clicking 'apply now' at the bottom of the page.